Mom's of autistic kids might feel my frustration on this one;people talking down to your kid

How do you/would you approach people who baby talk to your child as if they don't understand what is being said to them?
I've told my mom SOOO many times to talk normally to my 10 year old son but she continues to speak to him as if he is 2!
Other's will do this too. Please people! My son understands everything you say! Just because he doesn't speak 'normally' does not mean he's a baby or something!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:19 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• my ausitic sons 11 and people do that too him, makes me soo mad ill just flat out tell them he understands what you say ,hes a very smart child,not a baby
    nickysmom11

Answer by nickysmom11 at 6:39 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with both of you. You need to let people know that he can still understand what is being said. Maybe you should talk to them as if they were babies since they are not getting the picture. Good luck!
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 5:31 PM on May. 5, 2011

• When people do this to my son, he tells them to stop, that he is not a baby and if they are going to talk to him that way he ignores them.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:29 PM on May. 5, 2011