Landscaping HELP!

So we have a a little walk way to our front door but on both sides are just dirt due to us buying a foreclosure and a lot of things were dead. What are some nice looking plants and flowers that look good in a front yard. (The yard doesn't get to much sun) TIA

staceybelly9

Asked by staceybelly9 at 5:35 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• anything that comes back annually is best perrenials (sp?) are best and they will spread out nicely and you can buy them cheap and in many different colors. Also you could get really cute pots and put things that don't need much sunlight to add a little pizzaz to the walkway. The people at wal-mart in the garden center can help you with all the info and most flower packets have info on them as well!! good luck!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• lavender is a good shade plant...I planted some in the shadowy part right in front of my north facing house...and oh, it smells divine :)
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 5:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• you'll want to look for labels that say 'part-sun/part-shade'..or if during the daytime hours, particularly the hottest times of the day, between 11-3pm in most zones, the planting area is still shaded, 'full-shade' plants/flowers will do well. if there is no designated area, and you are starting from scratch, i'd suggest you keep it small, at first. you don't want to prepare a bigger bed than you will be able to take care of. also, you'll need to take notice of drainage, after rains. does it stay damp or puddle? most shade-loving plants appreciate cooler temps, and watering is more minimal than 'sunny plants'. however, you don't want to drown them, either.
    check out gardengate.com for suggestions on easy care perennials/annuals/shrubs.
    my suggestion is to use as much perennials as possible, and use annuals for 'spotlighting'. that way, you don't have to replant the entire area the next year.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would plant an evergreen on either side of the walk way like a holly or miniature spruce. Then I would plant some Hosta & fill in with annuals like impatiens & petunias.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:19 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think it depends on the color of your house. You could go white, red, orange, yellow.... Even some sort of bushes.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 6:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• heres a bump, cause im not sure
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 8:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Hosta's they spread quickly and they are hardy. g/l
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• REBLOONING LILACS ARE AND SMELL DELICIOUS .
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 9:12 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I can't grow anything, and Junipers work for me. You can't kill them, and they grow quickly with little care.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:50 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I think that the ornamental grasses look really nice. They are EASY to keep and fill in fast.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:53 AM on May. 7, 2011