How would you handle this?

My daughter just told me that today at school the teacher was trying to help her with a problem and she did not want the help so my daughter nudged the teacher with the side of her arm. The note I got from the school said my child was having difficulty listening and taking direction. I am beyond mad at my child, and honestly I am shocked that the school did not give her detention or suspend her for a few days. I do not get why thing like permission slips the children lose recess over but push a teacher and they get a note sent home? This makes no sense what so ever. I am waiting on a call from the teacher right now to find out exactly how bad it was, I just do not know what to do right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We are parents, and when we don't agree with things our kids did, it's our job to punish them. Yes the teachers can punish as well, but sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I agree with the apology note to the teacher as part of her punishment. I would also have her verbally apologize in person when giving it to her. I agree that hitting is never a good way to express your feelings, and I try to teach my daughter the same principles as you do your child about that. (Trust me, I'm a little stricter about it than most parents, because my nephew is never disiplined for hitting by his mom or dad or in day care and it drives me NUTS because he can be sooo aggressive. They are both 3 years old). Anyways, I in no way want my daughter to react like that. It's one thing to defend yourself, quite another to lash out in anger.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:34 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I teach 3rd grade, and when I have a student who disrupt my class, we have a three strike rule, but I try to handle it before calling the parent/s. The student have to do something really inappropriate before I call the mom/dad. What your daughter did was no big deal to me, and as a teacher and a parent, I would have probably asked her what the problem was and tried to work it out in the classroom.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 5:55 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm grown and I find myself wanting to throw an elbow occasionally. Some people are more protective of their "space" than others. Sounds to me like she's all ready said no thank you, and the teacher just wasn't having it. The discussion of how this should be handled in the future might ought to include something regarding respecting your daughters personal space. If she was close enought for your daughter to come into contact with like that, she was pretty close. It's not like your daughter stood up and kicked her in the shin.
    I believe I went on to long considering the information you provided. Eeeep.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 5:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh come on...this is "NOTHING" compared to what is going on in the schools elsewhere. What if your child were throwing chairs, kicking or screaming, fighting/biting other students? This is exactly what's going on in our elementary school. Just talk with your child to see what the problem is, but as a teacher myself, never instruct a school to punish her, this would only make your child look like a problem child, and no one wants they're child labeled as being a problem. Talk to her, take her out to dinner just the two of you, or do what I do. Wait until bedtime, go in and have a chat with her just the two of you, but never tell a school to punish your kid.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 5:51 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i would make your daughter write a apology letter to the teacher and let the teacher know that type of behavior is not acceptable to you and that you would like X y or Z to happen in the future. the teacher should have no problem complying with that. I hope that helps.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• How old is your little one?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• She is 8. Sorry I am so mad I did not think to add that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:44 PM on May. 5, 2011

• some teachers are very persistant...
    steph_twins

Answer by steph_twins at 5:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with writing an apology letter too....good idea!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 5:52 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The reason my child is not throwing chairs kicking and biting other students is because I do get upset about things like elbowing a teacher. My daughter knows to use her words and if all else fails to walk away even if it is from a teacher. I would rather get a note saying she walked to the principle's office than hearing she tried to hit a teacher. I am glad to hear that you are an easy going teacher and work with your kids and get to the bottom of the problem. I do the same thing here, but just because she was having a bad day does not mean she should not be punished and told how sever what she did is. The fact that other kids may do worse does not make what she did any better either.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:24 PM on May. 5, 2011