Need breastfeeding help!

My daughter is 3 weeks old, she was born on April 11th. I have extremely inverted nipples and was unable to get her to latch, she tried really hard but before I had milk, she wasn't getting any benefit so it was hard to stick with it. I have been pumping like crazy since she was born. I would really like to get her to latch now, with a breast shield, so I can breastfeed instead of solely pumping. Is it too late? Would she be able to figure it out or did I ruin my opportunity? Please help!

ARast

Asked by ARast at 5:56 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give it a try. Babies instinctively know how to feed (or else how would they survive?). Maybe try calling a Lactation Consultant or see if La Leche League has a chapter in your area if you have questions.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It's not too late. Just keep trying.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It is not too late at all! Spend lots of time skin to skin with her (your shirt off, baby in only a diaper, let her sleep on your chest like that). Just start offering the breast! You can try both the bare breast and with a nipple shield.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:02 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If you are still pumping and producing milk, it is not too late. When she gets hungry, put her on to suck first. Then, if she isn't able to get much out, puimp and give her some bottle. That will give her a really good opportunity to learn. If you have insurance, call your ped and ask how you can get a lactation specialist over to your home to guide you . . . you might want some extra support because of the inversion issue.

LLL is also a really great resource. Give your local group a call.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If you still have milk there then it is not too late at all. I would recommend pumping a little to pull the nipple out as much as possible and then putting your babe to breast BEFORE she gets upset and crying for food. After she nurses for a little bit then give a bottle. A friend used a supplemental nursing system to help her daughter when she had inverted nipples. Eventually she got rid of the SNS and could just nurse like normal with no shields at all. See if you there is a local LLL or a lactation consultant to help you out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your advice. I got her to latch twice today, on each side. I know both times she got at least an ounce from each side because I pumped after. She didnt seem to LOVE the idea but she didn't seem to mind it too much. Only problem was she kept falling asleep!! I will definately look for the number of a lactation consultant tomorrow! Thanks again!!
    ARast

Comment by ARast (original poster) at 11:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Also.. look for breast SHELLS. You wear them when not nursing. They are MUCH more effective than shields for flat or inverted nipples.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 PM on May. 6, 2011