How to cope with bad anxiety when alone at night?

This sounds stupid, but the truth. I'm 21 yrs old and have bad anxiety sleeping alone in my apartment at night. I have not been alone since I was 14 yrs old. I have always had people living or staying with me. I don't have my daughter living with me. I just knew when my Fiance lived with me I didn't have it. We are in a long distance relationship. Anything you have done that has helped with this? or any slimilar situastions you dealt with and how did you deal with it? thanks so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Health

• Take all of the precautions that you need. . . Check to make sure door is locked, phone is by your bed, etc. Then, tell yourself over and over that you are safe. If anything happens, you will be prepared to call for help.

You will get more used to it with time.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:08 PM on May. 5, 2011

• When my boyfriend goes out of town I have the same anxiety. I always make sure check any doors and windows to make sure they are closed/locked. I take a relaxing bath with bubbles and listen to music. then when I go to bed I will read a book, or watch a Disney movie! If you are having really bad anxiety it can help to lie on your back, take deep breaths in through your nose and let it out through your mouth. It will help relax your mind :) I find that as long as I have kept busy during the day, when I finally go to bed I am pretty tired and tend to fall asleep easier :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:08 PM on May. 5, 2011

• When i had anxiety at night before i started living with my dh, i would also go down my cheklist to make sure everything was safe, sometimes i would sleep with the phone on my pillow next to me. If i feel anxious now, i may sleep witht the tv on, or call my dh at work, so that i dont feel so alone.
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 6:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

• When I'm alone at night, and feel anxious, I find that having the television on or music playing helps me feel less alone, and less anxious. I think even just having it on in the background is somehow reassuring. Or, try activities that will distract you and keep you from dwelling on "what ifs". These could be things like doing housework, writing in a journal, doing something creative, or spending time on the computer. If it's not too late, and you're feeling anxious, maybe you could call a friend or fiance and talk a while. I know I have a very hard time sleeping when I'm alone in the house, so I usually leave a light on outside the bedroom door...for some reason that helps. I also keep my phone right next to the bed.

starchild663

Answer by starchild663 at 6:27 PM on May. 5, 2011