How do you feel when...

How do you feel when you can't push through your workout?

This week my arms and legs have hurt BAD. Up until today I was able to push though all my workouts. (2 a day with taking nightly walks and whatever else I add in).
Since I got up this AM the top of my stomach has hurt, it's be hard and just painfull. I was able to get do my first workout however I went to do my 2nd workout and I couldn't do it. I spent 45 mintues trying before I gave it. I'm mad at myself that I was able to push though all week until today and that I gave up but I was almost crying because of the pain.

Just wanted to know how others feel when they can't do a workout or gives up because of the pain.
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• maybe you've pulled something, or overworked an area. perhaps changing up your workout would help..idk if you weight-training, but if so, you need to lay off for a day, let the muscles rest. on days when you just can't do a complete workout, use a longer or speedier walk instead. make sure you always do your warmups and cooldowns.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:15 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If you are in pain thats not a god thing, nor something you should push through. If it's from sore muscles, well you have to give them time to heal before jumping back in. Slow down a bit, sounds like you are overdoing it!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:04 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If you can't push through a workout, then it's your body's way of telling you to take a break. Don't feel guilty, you may have done too much too soon. We all need to rest. I am a workout fiend - but always always take 1 day off to rest my body and it's just as important to my fitness as my workouts are. Be sure you're stretching after your workout and warming up properly before by going slow and letting your muscles warm up. Take some Advil if you can take it to help ease pain and be sure you're hydrating. Always listen to your body. If the pain doesn't subside after you warm up, it means you should stop. Take care of yourself - if you push through when you should've stopped you could injure yourself! Good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:08 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I listen to my body--if I honestly can't push through a workout that I should be able to, then I accept that my body needs a lighter day, and I can kick it another day. It all balances out, as long as you aren't a whiner looking to get out of doing your workouts. Mentally, I love to get a butt-kicker in, so on the days when my BODY says no, I take heed. We all have days that we just don't have as much strength or oomph as we normally do, and that's okay.

And, if you're as sore as you say you are, you should probably take a day off to rejuvenate and recover. Good luck.

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Nope not a whiner. Been going at it all week after a few bad weeks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Take a couple of days off. It'll let your tummy heal some (try some gentle yoga poses and stretching, like cobra) and you'll be itching to exercise. The body demands breaks for a reason. That's not to say we don't need to push through some workouts, but it sounds like you're due for a break before you injure yourself further. I make my runs loops, so that I can't just stop, I have to get back to where I started from! At the gym, sometime I'd keep pushing, but there comes a point when your form suffers, and that puts you at high risk for injury. Listen to your body, and know the difference between normal soreness and your body begging you to stop.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:09 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I wasn't calling you a whiner OP. I meant "you" in the general sense, not you specifically on the whining point. There are a lot of people who convince themselves that they can't get through their workouts, when really they can if they just push through. I said as long as you aren't one of those people, then you need to take a day or two off.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:49 AM on May. 6, 2011