I would like to clear up a question from early..i asked about chicken in the house maken u sick..

we live in nh. its still cold out at night we bought chickens 8 weeks ago ( they were tiny cute ) so right now there in a huge walking crate till there big enough to go outside. we do plan of corse putting them in a hen house when there big enough. by no means am i keeping chickens in the house at all times. ( eww ) i noticed some thought that i bought them to keep them in the house. again not the case. till old enough though there in my utility room. but please note they will be going outside. im not a crazy chicken lady. my question was though..can keeping chickens in your house make u ill. i do clean them every day and sanitize my hands after cleaning. i actully think i might be allergic to there feathers. :(

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 6:11 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Health

• could be allergic to their guano once it dries. They poop ALOT and its hard to keep up with it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• If you have an allergy, they sure can. I don't do feathers well. I'm ok with down fill if it has been very, very, very well cleaned before manufacturing (high end down pillows/jackets/etc), unfortunately I've had a couple encounters that didn't end well with cheap stuff :(

Same went for helping a friend clean out their hen house, I had crazy allergies. Mask, allergy meds.

Hopefully soon you'll be able to put them out. I have a friend in IN who just got a dozen, and they're living in the bath tub at the moment. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• a lot of people have allergies to dander..it could be making you sick. is it making you cough or a different sick..like nausea?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• shay1130~ YES. i have now been sick for a lil over a week. coughing, stuffy head, dizzy, throwing up. and some other personal stuff that im sure u dont want to know. ( think movie dumb and dumber ) i have been to the doc twice now. i have an inhaler to help. and stupid me forgets to say to doc oh yeah btw i have chcikens and yadda yadda. its not a normal thing for the house. everyone else in the house is fine but me.
    tabbys4

Comment by tabbys4 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on May. 5, 2011

• just called dh and told him... they need to go outside this weekend. i am not waiting any longer. told him if he dosent do it i am leaving till there outside and he is in charge of the kids. think that scared him lol..
    tabbys4

Comment by tabbys4 (original poster) at 6:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i would say the coughing and allergy symptoms could be caused from the dander from their feathers..but throwing up does not sound good. are you running a fever? this just does not sound good at all. if you are running a fever and vomitting and diahrea..you could have ecolli (sp?)..you should go to the ER for further testing.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:42 PM on May. 5, 2011