GRRRRRRR

How do you deal when you have taken your children out in public ( say to a park) and you see that they are being bullied and/or shunned by other children? What do your instincts tell you to do?

Jaliceawrites

Asked by Jaliceawrites at 6:25 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• depends on the age of my child... but I only took my child to the park when they were younger. So I wouldnt use the word "bully" when it came to little kids. BUT... I would walk up to my child and say "you need to tell that child not to talk to you that way" or "to be nice" or what ever fit. I would coach them on how to stand up face to face to someone. MY children are NOT doormats... I have taught them to go toe to toe with a jerk and put them in their place and I would coach them on how to stand up for themselves.

As far as being shunned... I would tell my child to march right over to the group and ask to join in... if the group said no then I would just tell my child "thats ok... their loss" and I would play with my child. I would make it as bland and matter of fact as possible. I think catering to things like that is bad parenting. Life isnt fair and not every one is going to be/ want to be a friend. that is life.
    Anonymous

• :( I never dealt with that...but it makes me sad.
    Bump
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 6:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Easy.... smile at my kid and tell them to go play with their sisters! Plus my kids are just happy to have me play!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:48 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I like anon's answer :D
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:09 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i would interact with the other parent
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:43 PM on May. 5, 2011