What do you do when you discipline your child by taking a privilege and he responds "Fine, why don't you take baseball away too"?

slomama0918

Asked by slomama0918 at 6:25 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would say, okay. And do it!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• he's testing you! call his little-child bluff.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:27 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would take away baseball too :)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• LOL I agree with Tarrar.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 6:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Well if he committed to being on a team, I wouldn't take it away,, does he love it or could he be manipulating you so you do take it away?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:36 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Take it away for 1 game, but don't tell him it's temporary. Stick to your guns, I know they can be difficult, lol I raised 2 boys :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:39 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Take baseball away, too. Atleast for a game or practice to let him know you're serious.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 6:50 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I will not take away baseball because you are part of a team and THEY did not do XYZ. I am not punishing them... but you will NOT be carpooling, and you WILL be coming straight home after practices and games... and if they go out for pizza after the game like they often do you will NOT be joining them.

I think it is whole irresponsible to take a team sport away from a child because it is bad for the WHOLE team... and may cause forfeits.  So unless you are dealing with drugs, where the child needs to be removed from other children I think it is poor parenting to do that re: team sports.

Anonymous

• I would take baseball away from him too. I do not agree that YOU are punishing the team, your son is letting them down by his behavior. He may go to a practice, explain what has happened an apologize that he can no longer be part of the team.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh, i have a dd that just doesn't seem to care about what we take away from her. It's very frustrating. I've taken her door off the hindges, taken her bed out of her room, taken away tv, radio and friends. She's the kid that could sit in her room and play with a piece of string for hours.
    I would take him out of baseball - let him explain to him team mates why he cannot be apart of the team anymore. Maybe this will embarrass him into behaving or at least think twice.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:51 PM on May. 5, 2011