Wedding Shower Advice

So my mom and I want to throw my brother and his fiance a little wedding shower. It's going to be a surprise for HER. Now they are not registered anywhere (she didn't even expect a shower), and they live together already anyway. My brother said that if people want to give them a gift, gift cards would be best.

Is there any good way to mention that on an invite? I usually have put registry cards in with wedding shower invites I have made, but there will not be registry cards. I know the people we invite will want to bring a gift, that's just what we do in our family. :) Is there a proper way to suggest gift cards only? Any advice would be appreciated

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 6:40 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• I would not do that. People who are thoughtful enough to go shopping for a gift should be given that opportunity. If duplicates are received, they can take the gifts back and exchange them for something else or a better color or whatever. Asking for gift cards is no different than asking for cash, and I find that distasteful, so I wouldn't do it. Maybe a shower just isn't a good idea, after all!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would make seperate sheet of paper to put in the invite that says "If you would like to get the couple a gift, please feel free to give a gift card or cash!" Simple, sweet and to the point I think.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:44 PM on May. 5, 2011

• It is not polite to ask for certain gifts or for money. However, might put on here the RSVP or if they want suggestions. I don't know if that is really appropriate or not but it is not telling them what to get. I assume they are getting married and are not continuing to just live together without marriage. So if hey are getting married it is correct. If they are not getting married tthen it would not be appropriate.

If it is close family most people would ask you what they needed and you could say you are not sure but that gift cards could let them get what they want. Could even suggest Target or Walmart if they are in your area or Bed Bath and Beyond though money goes farther at Target or Walmarts or some other discount store. I hope they are happy all the rest of their lives. Hope you hae a great time. If it were just for he girls, i'd suggest some things to do, but not quite sure on a family party.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 6:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You can always just not mention it. If someone really wants to find out what the couple wants, they will call you and ask. Then, you can tell them, "They do not have a registry, so a gift card would be fantastic!"
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't want to discourage the buying of gifts if that is what someone wants to do. I just wanted to put it out there that giftcards would be GREAT, and guests don't have to stress over what to get.
    KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 6:48 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about. I wouldn't say anything on the invite. They get what they get and they should be thankful. End of story. If they want to return or exchange then that is their business. I wouldn't specify. If they don't register, then that's their fault. Maybe it shouldn't be a surprise so that they can register somewhere.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:51 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes they are having a big wedding in July.

The shower will be co ed, not just for the girls. I also wondered if it would be appropriate to list specific stores. My brother even said he and his fiance would love NOTHING but Home Depot gift cards. We contemplated throwing a Home Depot shower, lol. We didn't know how to word that though. Since it is acceptable to have registry cards in an invite, I figured mentioning gift cards would be alright. Like I said, I just didn't know how to word it without sounding tacky.

KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 6:52 PM on May. 5, 2011

• honestly I think that mentioning gift cards at all is pretty tacky. If Home Depot is what they want then they should register there, chances are most people aren't going to want to go buy gifts there, so they would probably end up giving Home Depot gift cards anyway. My Brother-in-law just got married and registered at Cabelas and didn't get anything from the registry but ended up with $700 in gift cards from there.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:57 PM on May. 5, 2011

• That's a good point Ashley. I should tell him to make a registry there for the hell of it.
    KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 6:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• How about a separate card saying there will be a gift card tree if people would like to participate.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:07 PM on May. 5, 2011