Is there something i can give my 3 year old?

My son has the beginning stages of pneumonia. The doctor gave us amoxicillan(sp) and an inhaler to help with his breathing. His cough is so bad. Is there something I can give him to soothe it? I know its limited because he's only 3. I have been giving him pedialyte to stay hydrated. Is there maybe a home remedy to help his throat and cough? We just found out last night what he has. Its after 5 so I can't call his doctor to see what I can do. :(

tnvplus2

Asked by tnvplus2 at 6:46 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Try a cool mist humidifier. Our pedi told us not to vicks bc it can actually irritate and cause more breathing problems. Also try some warm tea and honey, this usually works dd
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 9:24 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Here is a home remedy that really works. At night, when he goes to bed, put Vicks on the bottom of his feet, then put socks on him. Weird, I know but it works sometimes. Also put some on his chest.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Warm honey with a few drops of lemon.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:14 PM on May. 5, 2011

• This is going to sound weird, but make some honey/onion cough syrup. It works wonders as an expectorant. Here's how.
    Take a cup of honey and add it to a bowl alone with half a small chopped onion. Cover the bowl and let it sit overnight. The next day, pour the mixture through a cheesecloth to strain out the onions. Give him a teaspoon at a time. You seriously can't even taste the onion.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:42 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Honey and lemon juice with water warmed
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 6:48 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Thank you ladies. Its so sad to see him hurting :( I know his chest has to hurt
    tnvplus2

Comment by tnvplus2 (original poster) at 6:50 PM on May. 5, 2011

• cool mist humidifier

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Your pediatrician didn't prescribe a nebulizer? I have been told by my doctor that Vicks will actually irritate the nose and throat more and that you should use a cool mist humidifier.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think I'd try something ifhe has beginning pneumonia. Amoxycillan is a good antibiotic to make sure any bateria is killed. Better ask the doctor before putting Vicks on his chest. I alwas did that myself but I seem to remember a few years ago that it could be a problem as it is inhaled and there could be some problems. It was a change from what we used to do. I always liked Eucalyptus oil put on my chest if I were feeling bad or couldn't breathe well, but I think with a 3 year old I'd check with the doctor first before doing anything. might ask him about humidifying the room. There are cold humidifiers now which I think are recommended rather than the older hot humidifier. I alwys used the steam conditioner but I think they are now using cold ones rather than steam but I am not sure why. It is mainly putting moisture back in the air to keep the sinuses open. Might ask about the saline solution to be sprayed .
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 7:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

• put vicks on his throat then tie a tea towel or clean dishrag around his throat. My mom always used this trick when we were little and it always worked. She did it at bedtime but since he's younger, I'd do it during the day for safety reasons.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:02 PM on May. 5, 2011