Asthma and Allergies

My 4.5 year old has had seasonal allergies since he was an infant and was just diagnosed with asthma this past year. I've been giving him his allergy medication daily and it has definitely helped with the typical allergy symptoms but this morning he woke up coughing non-stop. We did a breathing treatment earlier, but he actually made himself vomit from coughing so much. I know it's allergy/asthma related because I get like this at times too. We've done several treatments today, which seem to be helping now (after the 2nd one in an hour). I just hate to have to give him so many in a day. Does anyone have any experience with this and have any advice on what helped? I'm going to talk to his doctor about it soon as well, especially if he keeps coughing like this...

jess_merrick874

Asked by jess_merrick874 at 6:54 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• does he have a daily preventor treatment like pulmicort? my 2 year old also has seasonal allergies that cause her to have asthma related symptoms, which at that time requires a nightly allergy syrup (like claritin), her daily nebulizer treatment preventor (pulmicort) and if she's in serious trouble the rescue treatments, which in her case is albuterol. the pulmicort is suppose to help in the longrun, so when their symptoms flare up they won't be as bad and (hopefully) not need rescue inhalers or treatments. hope this helps.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Find some local honey this always help me and my kids. Just a spoonfull and see if it helps.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 7:00 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Talk to the doctor. I took a preventative (Advair). It was great. I never had an asthma attack when I was on that. After my third child was born my asthma went away!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:03 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would get him in to see his Dr soon.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:19 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm not sure, but good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• well, my 3yo has asthma and allergies and i give him the claratin every night and he has been successful with that, but sometimes he does get an attack. if you catch it early then that is the best. he has inhalers instead of a nebulizer (i am guessing that you guys use a nebulizer?). then we use the inhalers as prescribed for a whole day even if symptoms are gone by the end of the day. if it's not gone by the next day i go see the dr. my nephew has asthma too and he was coughing all day at school and they didn't send him to the nurse for his inhaler until the end of the day. he had to leave school in an ambulance because it turns out he had croup. it really is important to jump on it the first sign of symptoms and continue the treatments as prescribed all day. you could also go to the dr. and talk about being on a preventative type medicine in addition to the 'as needed' ones. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:03 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would call the dr.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 11:34 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm going to call his doctor tomorrow because he's still coughing in his sleep (but it is SO much better than it was). He was just diagnosed with asthma in February and we hadn't really needed to discuss preventive medications until now. We'd just managed it by using Allegra at night and then using his nebulizer with albuteraol when needed (which up until this point, had only really been while he was sick and once after he was around lot of dust). We've been lucky so far.
    Are there many different preventative types?? Are they all inhalers???. Have you noticed and side effects with the medications?? (I'm going to do some research tonight...)
    jess_merrick874

Comment by jess_merrick874 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Have they tried singulair? It helped my son a lot! We also have 2 inhalers thar we use. Since we started singulair we have only had to use the nebulizer twice.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 10:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My 15 year old has had allergies and asthma since he was young. We have tried a number of inhaled steroids and antihistamine combinations over the years. Talk to your doctor about what might be right for your son. My son only had to take the preventatives during his peak allergies season.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:34 PM on May. 6, 2011