Is she getting too big? how big is your 2 year old?

im a little concerned about my middle DD's weight. she hasn't been weighed since her 24 month check up which was 5 months ago, but i think it's safe to say she's probably gained about 3 pounds since then, which puts her at around 30 pounds. my 4.5 year old only weighs 32! which isn't much in comparison considering my 4.5 year old is under weight. anyway, my 2 year old is also on the tall side, at around 37 inches. her height/weight proportions were great at her 24 month checkup, both in the 60th percentile. well she went through a bit of a picky phase and i couldn't get her to eat much. i still had her on whole milk at the time too. but she went through a big growth spurt lately i believe, because she can now comfortably fit into 3T clothing as most of her 2T clothing is getting snug. (unbelievably her and my 4.5 year old can BOTH wear some of the same clothing!)

i was an overweight child, maybe not at 2 but my parents let me eat anything i wanted, which was always junkfood. i'm not so lenient! their diets consist of healthy foods and healthy snacks, and i have to constantly monitor my 2 year old's milk intake because she is such a milk junkie. now i have cut her back to 1% and giving her more yogurts and cheeses instead. however this girl is still growing like a weed. the difference between her and my oldest, is she is so much meatier! my oldest is a stick, whereas my 2 year old has a bit of chunk to her. she has a bloated belly but it's hard, and she's had that from infancy. she was also a 10 pound child, very VERY chubby until she turned 1.

idk, i seem to always freak out about this stuff. she is acting fine (great actually, she had a speech delay and seems to be improving in all areas) but i still worry about their development, physically and other. how big is yours?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:13 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• if their height and weight are around the same (or the weight lower than the height), then they're fine. it sounds like she is fine. i think you're just worried bc you're looking at the 4yo and used to seeing them thinner, that's all. i do the same thing when looking at my kids (thinner) vs. my sister's kids (normal weight). it looks like a big difference!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son is almost 2 and weights 3lbs and is in the 97 percentile for height. I'm sure she is fine.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:19 PM on May. 5, 2011

• *32 lbs lol not 3
    June_Mama09

• My son is 2 (on 4/13) and he was 37lbs at his checkup. He's over 95%. There's only a 2lb difference and 1.5in difference between him and his 3y/o brother. Their 8y/o brother is only 50lbs... I think they're catching up!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 7:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My daughter was 36 inches and 36 pounds at her 2-2 1/2 check up. She's now 4 and still roughly a pound and inch. Yes, that puts her on the 90+% for height/weight. Her doctor is not all that concerned though, she's proportional.

She's 4 and roughly the size of the average 5 year old. Her older brother is 7 and the size of the average 10 year old.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:31 PM on May. 5, 2011

• my dd was 35lbs and 3ft tall when she was 2
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My 2 1/2 yo weighs 27 lbs - at his 2 yo appt he was 50% for height and 25% for weight.

Answer by missanc at 7:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think she is fine.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:17 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would worry more about what she's eating than how big she is. If she's eating healthy foods, drinking water, etc. then she may just be a big girl. :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My daughter is 2 and weighs 35lbs and wears 4T shirts and 3T pants
    wootens91

Answer by wootens91 at 9:32 PM on May. 5, 2011