Doing prek at home

i am a sahm and i was thinking about doing prek for my 3 year old at home. Where can I get some good free lesson plans for him? What does he need to be able to d before going into kinder and do i need to register him though the school district even if i am homeschooling him this young?

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 7:26 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on the school district. Call yours and ask about their requirements. They will tell you what the child needs to be ready for K. There are many things online if you Google 'getting ready for K' and such. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My littlest brother is almost 3 and my mom does montessori activities with him she has a blog. http://middleofthemitten.blogspot.com/ Where she talks about all the things she does with 3 of my siblings that she home schools. Check our her site and if you have any questions just leave a comment, she likes helping people out. : )
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 7:42 PM on May. 5, 2011

• No school district requires him to be registered before kindergarten. Check your state. Here in PA you don't need to register for school until the age of 8 and at that time they either need to be in a school (public or private) or registered as homeschooled. I homeschooled my son for preschool and he is currently in K and doing just fine.

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preschool_age_3.html

Is the program I used with adaptations to our needs of course.  We also had several classes at the local YMCA and library time too for social interaction.

Good luck.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• 3 year olds go to pre-school.... 4year olds go to pre-K ( which means the year prior to Kindergarten) and my daughter loves Pre-K ( military school district) b/c of the socialization and all that they learn ( she knows allot of spanish...etc.) Just saying think twice!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• we werent able to register him on time for prek 3 or prek 4, (prek 3 is a 3 year old class, prek 4 is for the 4 year olds though the local elementary). for the school distric that we are in, you have to register a year early which i didnt know lol we also lived in the other side of town. i dont want him to get behind because there is so much kids need to know before they leave kinder, so i want him to know as much as possible before he goes to school. Next week, we plan on doing story time at the libaray. (good thing i am not going to teach hm how to spell big words lol)
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You can google a pre k curriculum, possibly even a lesson plan. I home school my 9 year old and we're contemplating doing the same with my 3 year old. There are lots of activity books and school books available at Sam's and Wal-Mart. If you want to make sure he's learning what the district expects see if you can get their curriculum off of their website. Noggin, well, nickjr has lots of fun, educational activities as well. Good Luck!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:32 PM on May. 8, 2011