Potato stroganoff...how to make without the box??

One of my favorite meals growing up was potato stroganoff from one of the hamburger helper box dinners. Well, now that I'm nowhere near a grocery store that carries that specific meal, I am wanting to make it...kinda lol.

I like the idea of cutting corners...if there's a "beefy onion" mix, using premade potato slices (bought Au gratin boxes just to use the slices) or powder to get around the "chewy" mushrooms, but if that's not the case...does anyone have a recipe with prep time, cook time, serving sizes...or measurements?? I've googled and the sites I've seen don't have prep, cook, or serving sizes. TIA.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 7:54 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• sour cream and cream of mushroom soup for the sauce. its super easy.
    TaylorBaby

Answer by TaylorBaby at 8:01 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Can it be made without the box?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:55 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Buy a bag of hashbrowns - the chunk ones. Cook a pound of hamburger & drain. Mix them, plus a can of cream of mushroom soup & about 8 oz of sour cream in an oven safe baking dish, and bake at 350 for about an hour or until the potatoes are done.
    Anonymous

• I would cook the onion with the meat if you want it. It will not come out the same with tater tots - BUT you can make a mock tater tot casserole, mix the meat & soup & some veggies if you have them (mixed, green beans, corn) then throw the tots on top and bake according to tot package directions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on May. 6, 2011

• This is the closest I have:

Mushroom Stroganoff, is a great, speedy weeknight dinner, especially if you cook the noodles the night before (I use whole wheat egg noodles or bowties). I also throw in spinach, either fresh or frozen chopped.
    1 lb portabello mushrooms (either the large or baby bellas), cut in half and sliced
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 - 1 1/2 c sour cream (I use fat free plain Greek yogurt)
    1/2 - 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
    salt & pepper to taste
    olive oil or butter (I use some of each)
    1/8 cup (or so) vegetable broth or dry white wine (optional, not part of the original recipe; I think that it gives it some depth)
    Saute diced onions in olive oil or butter (your preference) until just soft and translucent. Add sliced mushrooms, saute until cooked through. Add broth/wine paprika and incorporate well. Turn down heat and add sour cream.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 11:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Heat through, add salt & pepper to taste. Add more sour cream if the 1 cup doesn't cover everything well. Serve on top of egg noodles or rice. Once I made this and I didn't have enough yogurt, so I added cream cheese and it was still very good! Mushrooms are a great source of protein as well as many other nutrients.

• Hopefully lol. I'm trying to figure out how to make it without the hamburger helper box dinner...but I'm still wanting to cut a few corners so the meal takes less time to make.
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 7:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Actually, now that it's been a couple of hours, I feel a need to change that. Use 2 cans of soup (or 1 of the family size) and more sour cream, otherwise it'll be dry. A little milk too might not hurt - but just a splash. And you could do it in the crock pot too, a few hours on lowl.
    Anonymous

• I just bought an 8 oz tub of sour cream and 2 cans of 10.75 oz of cream of mushroom. One onion (wasn't sure if I needed to cook the onion with the meat since that's what I saw on one of the recipes...or maybe no onion needed?) I have some tater tots....that'll work won't it? I don't know if it'll feed a family of 6, but I will try probably tomorrow night when I have a better idea of how to make it. Oh, also...the pan I need to use...meatloaf pan, 13x9 cake pan...lol, I'm feeling really dumb right now, but I want to make sure it comes out right the first time. Thanks Anon.
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 11:35 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Thanks! I ended up making it over the stove.

I purchased "au gratin" boxes and just stole the pre-made potato slices out of the box. Browned the meat with the onion and added a can of cream of mushroom with water and milk. Added the potato slices and put the lid over the pan for about 17 or so minutes stirring occasionally. After 17 minutes, the potatoes were still a bit tough, but the kids enjoyed it as much as they would've with a box dinner. I was proud of myself lol. I just don't know ovens well enough to start cooking with that...but stove top...easy! Thanks for your help ladies!
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 1:35 AM on May. 11, 2011