Is anybody else embarrassed because their child is not potty trained?

My son will be three on the 12th. He still wears diapers when we go places and he wears underwear at home but he doesn't even try to use the toilet. All he does is poop in the underwear same as he would a diaper. If I put him on the potty he usually goes pee but thats it. He will still pee in his underwear if he is not taken to the potty. He is a big boy so most people think he is four. I am starting to get really frusterated and embarrassed! He is going to be wearing a diaper at his third birthday party!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was 3 1/2 before she was potty trained. I wasn't embarrassed, I just knew it would happen when she was ready.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:20 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Boys take longer than girls usually. Three is not a problem. Just keep working with him. Take him to the potty every half hour and give rewards and accolades. It will happen. It is not a reason to be embarrassed. They people that are making you feel embarrassed have a problem.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:23 PM on May. 5, 2011

• well, how i potty train my children (and my nephew) is i don't have them in underwear or pants when we're home and i keep the light on and the door open to the bathroom at all times. i make it clear to them that if they have an accident they will be cleaning it up, and then i follow through. my nephew didn't even test me on the clean-up threat, but my oldest son did and i made him clean up absolutely everything. he never had an 'accident' again. my younger son didn't test me, but he still wears a diaper at night because his bladder is still not mature enough (but otherwise he's fully trained). i would wait until he turns three and even then wait until he starts to show interest in the potty. tell him he's a big boy and he's going to learn how to do potty. and of course make a big deal out of it when he makes it in time and give him a treat the first week or so he goes consistantly. gl! and don't push it on him
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh, try not to let it get to you. There are tons and tons of 3-4 year olds who are potty-training. Your little guy is just fine.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The pediatrician told me that 25% of kids are not potty trained until after age 3. My daughter was 3 when she potty trained, and it took her 2 days and has had almost no accidents since. I've been working on my son, who just turned 4, since he was 2. For every one step forward we took 2 back. Trust me, you are not alone and you should not be embarrassed. I have 3 friends with boys, including my son, we collectively have 5 boys under age 5, not one of them was fully daytime potty trained before 3...and definitely don't expect him to be dry through the night yet. GL, and again, totally normal.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son isnt completely potty trained and he will be 4 in a few months. He can go and knows when to. But every child is different but the doctors say if they are not by the age of 4 then to get them checked out. It can be frustrating but keep your head up!
    blinksweetp

Answer by blinksweetp at 8:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• He's not ready screw what other people think they aren't cleaning the floors, carpets, and sofa when he poops or pees on them. Boys take longer and no kids will go until they are ready, he will get it one day. Everyones always in such a hurry to potty train but the kids as soon as they can walk Back off the little guy and let him do stuff on his own time, i'm sure soon enough he won't want to he that stuff in his pants any longer. Good luck, my DD in no hurry to be on that potty she plays with it more then anything she will be 3 in November.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 8:31 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I am a little embarrassed. My daughter is 2 and refuses to go near a potty and if i try to put her on it she screams bloody murder. Ive tried bribing her, punishing her, and every other trick I could think of but nothing is working. Everybody is always giving me some type of smarta** comment cause she still wears a diaper. It can be so frustrating!!!
    wootens91

Answer by wootens91 at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 and VERY interested in potty training, but nowhere near ready. He knows when he has done the deed, but doesn't know when he NEEDS to do it. I'm not going to pull my hair out trying to train him when he's just not fully there yet. I have a potty seat and a stool in the bathroom. He asks to go potty after he's already gone in the potty. If I go potty, he wants to go too... at the same time LOL. Anyway, I just try to let him sit and try it out. I don't punish, yell, scold or push him. He will do it when he's ready and I just make sure I help to keep him interested in the process. It helped when we got a potty seat with his favorite cartoon on it. GL!! You're not alone!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My daughter is 2 (25 months) and all my husbands family keeps bugging me that she needs to be potty trained. Its kind of annoying. Id love for her to be potty trained but shes not doing well with it. Shes peed in the potty before but i cant get her to tell me when she needs to go potty. Ive tried having her in the house wiithout a diaper but she just pees on the floor lol. Hopefuly soon....
    seleste0330

Answer by seleste0330 at 11:23 AM on May. 6, 2011