What do u all think about this subject??

My sister's 11 yo daughter was told by the teacher to write a small report on OBL. (Osama) Anway, she got mad at the teacher and didn't think is was appropriate. Anyway here is an exact quote:
"What would you think if your 11 year old daughter who is in fourth grade how will you feel if she had to write a report on Osama Bin Laden? I was not very happy about she is way to young to have to really worry about this shit. Thats my job not hers. How would you feel?"

I have no idea why her daughter is in the 4th grade BTW, only thought is on that is she was homeschooled by a person who wasn't a 'certified' to be able to do that. When u r 11 yo, shouldn't they be in 6th grade?
But, then my sister wrote the report for her and turned it in to the teacher with a note. My niece lives in a military town with the 2nd largest Air Force base in the US. I would think she would understand more about what was going on then some kids who do not with all the other kids she plays with and their parents are in the military.

PS.....this is my sister, not me, so do not bitch me out please!!

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:32 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• as a military family, our kids hear about, talk about and report about OBL, terrorist, soldiers...etc. And they are very well rounded! There is nothing to "worry" about my riends and family and many other soldiers have eliminated that man, and it is a GREAT thing to know about! I fnd your sister to be in denial, offensiv, in patriotic, and a littel sad!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:44 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Sounds inappropriate. Instead of writing the report for her though, I would have talked to the teacher about it and tried to work something out about maybe getting to write it about something else.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 8:38 PM on May. 5, 2011

• As a forth grade assignment, I think it's a bit off. But for an 11 year old? No. She should be starting to understand about the world and about politics and big social issues. I'd be happy enough for my 11 year to write a report about Bin Laden. As long as the teacher is open to hearing more than one view-point.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i agree with tarrar.......the mother should have requested a meeting with the teacher and if that didn't go well, with the principal if she didn't agree with the assignment.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:41 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My 10 year old daughter is in the 4th grade...its possible she didn't start her until she was 6/7 instead of 5/6...maybe daughter wasn't quite ready to start school at that age. Who knows?

Anyway, I agree and think she is way too young to be writing a report on such a subject.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:37 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I just started to answer this as though the report was "how do you feel about Osama," but realized I misread. That would be an inappropriate essay even in sixth grade, IMO. Was there any more specifics to the essay? I am curious. Depending on what the teacher was actually looking for would depend on whether or not I was comfortable and if my daughter had no other info other than a report on OBL I would be contacting the school for clarification. Same token though, I would never write an essay and turn it in for my child, that's wrong and if your sister felt so strongly about this situation she should have had a conversation with the teacher. I fnd it interesting you added about the military population, is your sisters family on base? in the military? Does she maybe think the school overall focuses too much on the war/military/politics/etc and this is the "straw that broke the camels back?"
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 8:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I do not think it is appropriate either for a teacher to place a child in the position of writing about someone she knows nothing about. It places her in the position of having to read a lot of comments by grownups about his policies, rather than learning about the man himself. I assume that is what a report about a political figure would have to be, otherwise she would be taking sides. A minor should not have to take sides.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 8:41 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think that is a topic that any child in elementary or middle school should be writing about.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The report was to get the kids point of view on the subject and to see how they felt about it. No my sister doesn't doesn't live on base, but she lives 2 miles west of one of them and 10 miles east of the bigger one. One is Hulbert Field, and the other one is Eglin Air Force Base. And I think the general idea was to shiow ther kids OBL was just a man not the boogy man and someone they need to be afraid of. Now he is dead.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on May. 5, 2011

• @Suzi...those kids knew more about what was going on then alot of other kids due to the fact of the strong military presence. When I was down there last year, a few kids ages ranging from about 6 to 13 yrs were talking about the war going on and the opinions they had on it impressed me alot cause of the level of maturity that was there and the very smart question that were asked in a meeting I attended with my sister at a neighborhood meeting.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on May. 5, 2011