Help me soothe my crying baby's bottom!

My 6 wk old daughter has had a red raised diaper rash around her butt hole for the past 2 weeks. She had a doc visit last week and they prescribed a burn cream to be applied 3x a day. When not using that creme I use max strength desitin alternating with A and D ointment. Its so bad it bleeds sometimes. Nothing seems to be working and it seems to be spreading in a larger circle around her anus. She screams at the slightest touch when I change her. Money is SUPER tight since I'm a single mom in college. I can't afford to buy stuff that won't work. Please help us!!!

bicyclemama

Asked by bicyclemama at 8:40 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my kid did that her doctor told me to put a blanket on the floor, put the baby on the blanket and take the diaper off for as long as you can.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:42 PM on May. 5, 2011

• That's awful! I don't even know what to recommend if the Desitin and stuff from the doc isn't helping. Have you spoken with her doctor and told him/her that the cream isn't working?
    We liked the Burts Bees Baby Bees skin cream, but this sounds pretty severe, so I'm really not sure anything off the shelf is going to work at this point. So sorry, and I hope you can find the solution, ASAP :-(
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:42 PM on May. 5, 2011

• when my son had really bad diaper rash i gave him a bath 2x a day with the aveeno oatmeal bath (i just put it....it's a powder....in the sink with some tepid water and sat him in there for a little while, then rinsed and air dry). i like triple paste, but it is expensive, so i don't know if you might be able to get a sample from your ped. office. if the prescription cream is not working i would make another appointment for the dr. to follow up. also, when you change her diaper, don't wipe with baby wipes. the dr. said just rinse with warm water after they have a poop and no baby wipes (not even the sensative ones). then air dry. that helped too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Wash her bottom gently using just your hand and warm water. No soap or abrasive towels. Then leave her without a diaper for as much of the time as you possibly can. Exposure to the air is the best thing. Even if you could lie her where she'll get just a bit of sun on it, just for a moment (don't let it get hot from the sun) would be good. The problem with Desitin is it's kind of thick and goopy. What that area needs most is fresh air. And obviously when she has to be diapered, change her EVERY single time she pees OR poops. One of the problems with disposble diapers is that you don't always notice when she's wet and especially if money is tight you may be tempted to wait until the diaper is "full". That's a big mistake. She will get very sore. I use cloth diapers and change them every time anything comes out of her, even if it's just a few drops of urine. Keeping her clean and dry will make it all better.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Poor kid! Well I used to use the A&D cream (it's white) not the ointment. It seemed to work well. In desperate times when all I had was Bag Balm (an antiseptic ointment that is very good on sore skin) I tried it too. The key is after using the wipe to clean the baby, blow her dry...gently. THEN apply the cream or the balm. Otherwise the moisture will be trapped and so will the bacteria. I have also heard recommended letting the child go without the diaper for a couple hours...to air. Make sure you have a towel or old blanket to protect surfaces from pee or poop. Also...do you breastfeed? Sometimes if you eat something acidic that goes into the milk and makes the pee really hard on the skin.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 8:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'll try leaving her diaper off. Docs getting called tomorrow. I'm really desperate since in the last 24 hrs it seems bigger and more upsetting for her. She now crys during her BMs. It's breaking my heart!
    bicyclemama

Comment by bicyclemama (original poster) at 8:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I would allow her to spend a few hours without a diaper. Best for it is to air. If able, take her outside bottom uncovered in the warm sun. I use either Desitin or Triple Paste. Have you asked about maybe a(n) antibiotic?
    My son used to breast feed and his rashes were so bad I was advised by his Military Ped. to use Triple paste or Desitin MIXED with just at DAB of Athletes foot cream. CLEARED instantly.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 8:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Okay. The best wipes to use on red little bums is Pampers Sensistive. Switch to those, and don't buy generic or any other sensitive brand. Try to use water to clean as much as you can. Just put her little bum on a few hand towels, and use the episiostomy squirter from the hospital (with warm water inside) to clean off the poopie. Then lightly pat her dry with a washcloth or soft paper product. Just pat, no wipe. When completely dry, put on a thick layer of the Desitin. Try to change her as soon as you notice she is wet. It should get better soon.

Also, look for a diaper with no perfume. If you need a generic, Target makes a great up & up product that is pretty gentle. Also watch the soap you use. Alot of natural products are actually very irritating. Johnson's head to toe is actually very gentle.

Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I have a good coupon for triple paste so I'm ginns go buy that tonight. I do breast feed, and drink coffee so maybe her pee IS more acidic.
    bicyclemama

Comment by bicyclemama (original poster) at 8:56 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Air time definately helps with a diaper rash, did that for DD when she had some real red ones (front).
    If there's moisture, I would use corn starch.
    Aveeno Baby Diaper Lotion is reasonable at walmart, lasts a long time. Udder cream is a handcream but it's supposed to be great for diaper rashes too.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:12 PM on May. 5, 2011