How can I help my son with his out of controll tantrums?

I started my son in daycare so his father could go back to work and he had one good day and then the next threw a tantrum so bad that the teacher told my mother who picked him up that he might be a troubled kid who needs special help. My son does not do this at home he only has normal small tantrums when he does not get his way. I am worried because this happens at every daycare I have put him in and my concern is I might have to quit my job to stay at home with him because no daycare will deal with his temper. Please help give me advice on helping my son he is a really good boy and I don't understand why he is acting out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids hated daycare. The carers in those places do not love the kids like a parent does. I quit working so I could raise them. I think if it's financially a reasonable option you should certainly consider it. Look at it from your son's point of view. He's not being naughty: it's just that he loves YOU and wants very badly to be at home with his mommy/daddy.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:58 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Try a counselor... I had a horrible tantrum probably and she taught me coping skills for when i got really upset... It helped a lot
    molly_beth13

Answer by molly_beth13 at 11:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm a behavioral specialist and work with young children in an early childhood center. First of all, I really feel that the worker was completely out of line to have made such a comment to your mother! Your son could have figured out that his tantrums are "working"! There probably is a lot of talk about the tantrums both at home and school. Don't talk in front of him to anyone else about the tantrums and the concern. At home, even though he doesn't have as many, or as severe, you need to totally ignore him when he tantrums. No eye contact, no talking to him, nothing. When he stops you can look and answer him. Often kids will start screaming again the minute you talk to them! Turn away, busy yourself with something else and ignore him until he stops. His tantrums have "power" and you need to take it away. It will be less each day. Read this article too:
    http://www.helpmealison.com/toddler-secrets.html
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:51 PM on May. 6, 2011