Sleeping with afghans...

I received a number of small afghans - lightweight knitted or crocheted baby blankets - when I recently had my little girl. I've been having a hard time keeping her happily swaddled in swaddling blankets, and her sleep sac with Velcro, while it keeps her bundled tightly for hours, also leaves her a hot sweaty mess...it's in the 60's & 70's here. (though we try to maintain a reasonable house temperature). The thing is, I've put her down a few times swaddled in one of her afghans and she's slept like a charm. Are these the "fluffly" blankets that doctors warn us about as choking hazards? Her swaddling blankets seem to have posed more of a problem for me - she squirms and gets them up over her head while they're still tight!
Thanks for your opinions! :D

RachaelTheMom

Asked by RachaelTheMom at 9:01 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no..that would be down comforters. I used thin receiving blankets for swaddling then cover over bottom half with a small afghan. A quilt works well too, but not the puffy kind...has to be flat. Even stuffed animals have to be away from the face, since child can't roll away quite yet.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 9:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I had a bunch of afghans from my grandmother in law and my sons loved them. The "fluffy" blankets are down conforters. If that is what makes her happy, then go for it. I think they liked the afghans because they can stay swaddled, but the blankets breathe a little better. Even in slightly cool temperatures, babies can still overheat, so the afghans can let just enough air in. :)
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 9:23 PM on May. 5, 2011