How do you decide what to do in situations like this?

Oddly enough, I'm unsure what to do. My 2 yr old (who can still barely communicate) woke up with ear pain or ear ache. I honestly don't know how to approach this. I know mom's that go to the ER for every little thing "better safe than sorry" and I know other mom's that have multiple kids seeing their siblings in pain and try to mimic for attention so they don't overreact and go to the ER for every little thing.

I'm a mom of 4 and none of my kids have complained of ear aches or pains...so I'm puzzled. Maybe he slept on it wrong. Maybe a bug crawled in his ear (yay for tv shows like Monster's Inside Me)...maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing. I really don't know....so I"m stumped here. He's complained about it twice so far since he woke up 2 hours ago. He can go about his day, but then he'll come up to me and cover his ear saying, "my ear." No where on his ear, no how it could've hurt...just "my ear."

The kicker is, hubby is at work and I need to be a parent and not rely on everything he says or suggests. I need to figure out what to do on my own as a mother... I WANT to say that it's nothing...that if it continues like that TOMORROW I should react...but then there's that guilt that if it IS something...I'd be beating myself up for letting it continue. Ugh! The insanity! This is the first time this has happened with us...

How do YOU decide what to do and when to do it with situations like this?!?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 9:16 PM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just do what your instincts tell!! When my son tells me that something is hurting I just keep an I on it and if it continually to hurt then I will call my son's dr to see what suggest the dr has for you and if your child dr cant help you then my advise is to take your child to the er if thats the only thing you have left to try
    Tossundacis

Answer by Tossundacis at 2:25 AM on May. 6, 2011

• i would just make an appointment to the pediatrician office and have it looked at. he could have stuck something in there (i did when i was little lol). it will not hurt to get it checked out.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:19 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'd call the ER or my doctor's service and ask them

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 PM on May. 5, 2011

• your instincts tell you to get him checked. Listen to them.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 9:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Well i would first call the On call dr at night time (depending where u live) , and in the morning if he is still complaining about it then call the nurse and ask what u should do.
    In the mean time watch for Fever and if he starts pulling at it and saying it. It could be nothing, but could be the start of it. If i were u, i would go get it looked at.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:36 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'd think, tonight would be the determine fact. If he can sleep through the night without pain or not. Watch out for a fever, checking on him through out the night. I would not go to the ER, that's crazy it cost to much, make an appt at the dr's offince in the morning, if it's been a rough night or if he has a fever.
    I usually don't take my kids to the doctor unless they have a fever or it's something that not being treated by over the courter med's for two days.
    who can afford to go to the ER for every medical whim...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:39 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't go the ER. If he is complaining consistently throughout the evening and night I would give some tylenol to see if that helps the pain and call the doctor in the morning to get and appt. It could be that he goes about his day but when he finishes something or pauses for a moment he realizes that it bothers him again.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:57 PM on May. 5, 2011

• *Update* He hasn't complained since...though I guess it's been 2 hours since I posted. He's acting like his normal wild self and hasn't mentioned his ear. I'm hoping he just slept on it funny and so I'm still checking on him throughout the day (it's only half an hour after noon right now). If he continues, I'll call the nurses line (instead of asking hubby's advice) to set up an appt, but so far so good. Thanks for your advice!
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 11:40 PM on May. 5, 2011