My Glucose test came out high :(. Now what?

my ob called to tell me my glucose test came out high n I need to tak another test that's 3 hrs long. I'm so bummed! I thought I was watching what I eat! On Sunday my sugar came out low, 73. I am so confused!

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 9:21 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I failed both of my tests. My sugar goes up about an hour after I get up even if I don't eat.

The 3 hour is hell. You are pregnant and not allowed to eat for 3 hours...talk about cranky!

When I failed, they had me check my blood sugar llike 6 times a day and keep track of it. After a month, they noticed that I wasn't really that high so I only had to test 3 times a day. Baby was NOT big and I had NO complications.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2011

• With ALL FOUR of my pregnancies, I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour. If you fail the 3 hour it's just a change of diet and whatever else your doctor suggests, but it could also be if you ate something before bed or had a light breakfast, readings can be off on the first test. They'll work with you and keep checking your levels, but it's all worth it in the end for a healthy baby.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i wouldn't stress about it too much until you get the 3 hour done. just remember to get it out of the way early in the morning lol. gl....sometimes the 3 hour comes back fine like ppsaid.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:31 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I failed it the first time and had to take the 3 hour. I passed that though. I stupidly ate an orange before I took the first test which made my blood sugar sky rocket. The 3 hour test isn't too bad. It's just very boring.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• the glucose tolerance test (GTT) is controversial because it gives a lot of false positives. Blood sugar levels naturally go up in pregnancy to increase glucose levels in the baby, and carbohydrate metabolism changes as well. The sugars in that drink they give you are not sugars that most women eat in that quantity regularly, and it really throws your body for a loop.

You have a couple of options.

Take the 3 hour test and accept your doctor's advice.

Refuse the 3 hour test, but go on a diabetic pregnancy diet anyway. The diabetic diet is really healthy, and that's what you're going ot have to do if you fail anyway, unless you become insulin dependent.

Do nothing.

The choice is yours as to what you want to do. I would recommend asking your doctor for a postpradial glucose screen, since that is the most accurate.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:44 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Postpradial screening? I'll look into it. Thx :)
    Vero0724

Comment by Vero0724 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 5, 2011

• yea my was high its ok test will help u fingure out
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:39 PM on May. 6, 2011