Four Year-Old Son Won't go to Bed and Pees on Floor...HELP!

My two sons, Tristan (4) and Tiernan (2) share their bedroom. The each have their own beds-Tiernan still has a crib. They both go to bed at the same time, 8:00 pm, most nights. When Tiernan goes to bed by himself (usually if he has a really bad day or is teething o sick), he goes to sleep right away. It doesn't take him more than ten or 20 minutes to fall asleep. When Tristan goes to bed with him, they stay awake for hours! My husband and I go in there, split them up, bring Tristan out to the corner, whatever we think might help him understand we're not joking around.

The rules are; no getting out of bed except to pee, no toys in bed, and no going into Tiernan's crub. He does all those things each and every night. He also doesn't bother going to the bathroom-he pees on his FLOOR. We have to have a doorknob cover on the bathroom door because he sneaks soap out of there to play with in his bedroom.

We don't know what to do with this kid! He needs to go to bed and stay there, and he needs to STOP peeing on the floor! Their room stniks so bad, but I'm getting so tired of having to steam clean their carpet every month. My husband and I are out of ideas and nobody in our families can give us any sound advice. Please help!

dazzychica

Asked by dazzychica at 10:22 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to start taking stuff from him but you need to make him do it. Sit down with him explain his behavior is not going to be tolerated anymore and everytime he pees on the floor or disobeys bedtime rules then he will loose a toy. Have a box and show it to him. Tell him when he gets a toy taken away it is going to be him putting the toy in the box. Tell him the toys are being given back until he can be a big boy. Tell him he cant go to scholl with his friends if he doesnt use the big boy potty all the time. Make it his choice, dont scream and yell. He needs to be taught that he is loosing stuff because of his behavior and it is his choice not yours. He will get it. Hwne he complains and criues because he has no toys keep saying its your choice not to be a big boy not mine. good luck
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 10:41 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Have you ever heard of melatonin. They make it in the meltaways. My little brother has issues falling asleep and this is what the doctor said would work best. Here's an article on it. Just somethin to look into. Make him go potty before bed time. And within five or ten minutes, he'll be out! :) Hope this helps, hun.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-03-02-kids-melatonin_N.htm
    MomOfTwoAt19

Answer by MomOfTwoAt19 at 3:01 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I could try taking away toys and see if that works before I resort to melatonin-which is definitely something to consider at this point, LOL. I've thought about posting guard duty by the doorr and sitting in the room til they fall asleep, but honestly, I want their bedtime to be an enjoyable time for myself, not more work. :(
    dazzychica

Comment by dazzychica (original poster) at 9:19 PM on May. 6, 2011