How old were your children when they learned to tie their shoes? How did you teach them?

Holtswife24

Asked by Holtswife24 at 10:47 PM on May. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She's almost got it at 4. the loops are the hardest part. I use bunny ears and instead of wrapping the lace around the ear, we make 2 ears and tuck under and through.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son was almost 7. My neighbor taught him. The neighbor was 11 at the time. That young man made an easy $5!!! Took him about 30 minutes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My boys were both about 6. DD decided it was time at 5. She spent an hour practicing with DH and boom, done. She was and still is one determined girl.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:52 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I started working on it before she was 4, and on her 4th birthday she did it! At her party! I was elated :) It's really not that difficult to teach them, once you learn how to tie them upside down... LOL You have to show them how it looks from their perspective, so you can either lean over them, or learn it upside down... At least, that's what helped me...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:52 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and still doesn't know.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:53 PM on May. 5, 2011

• my son was 9 almost 10 - I thought, he'd never learn. I had tried, other adults several times. I did the shoe box shoe and any other idea. Finnally, one afternoon, his older sister got it through to him. His oldest sister had tried several times, too.. It took the middle child to teach him.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My kindergarten teacher gave up on me. I still can't tie normally. My grandma taught me loop, loop and swoop. My kid was 5 and the neighbor taught her.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:55 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son is 4 and I just ordered this book to help him learn.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=345758&cmSource=Search

good luck

BlessednHappy

Answer by BlessednHappy at 10:56 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son was about five, but his twin sister couldn't master it until she was almost eight. Just depends on the kid, I think. I don't think I did anything special, apart from just explaining it as best I could. I do remember they had a really adorable little shoe tying book with laces in it and everything. I don't know how helpful that was, but it sure was cute.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 10:59 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My girls were 4 & 5! We found out that before 1st grade they needed to be able to tie their shoes so worked w/ them (Dh w/ the youngest, me w/ the oldest) for about 10 minutes one day and like that they practiced and figured it out! I just expected we would work w/ them here and there 5 or 10 minutes at a time but they picked it up super fast!!! GL!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 11:04 PM on May. 5, 2011