How can i help my son with his frustration and tantrums

for about a year now (my son is almost 4) my son has been throwing severe temper tantrums and has developed a sassy mouth. I understand that alot of this problem is how he sees me react to certain things. I am bipolar and have severe mood swings. i am on meds but still from time to time get out of control. i do my absolute best to stay calm and quiet with him but he continues to push my buttons. i have tried time outs, swats, nose in the corner, taking away toys and movies. i'm at a loss can anyone help? please i dont know what else to do.

fallenraven

Asked by fallenraven at 11:22 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you have to pick a discipline and stick with it constistantly until it works. it could take a while but when he can predict the punishment 1--% it will help. also encourange him to describe his feelings. when hes throwing a fit say to him "I know youre very angry and your chest hurts right now, you can tell me youre angry" (depends on his verbaly skils and cognitive ability to understand those sentence you rephrase if you need to) give his feeilngs and emotinos words then he can learn to tell you "im angry" and if he knows that you understand his feelings that might help too
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• lol 100%***
    ElsaSalsaaa

• i should try to, however i like the punishment to fit the crime. if he throws toys, he gets them taken away, if he is rude, he gets sent to the other room, ect. as a child (and as an adult) i always thought that my punishments were unfit for what i had done.
    fallenraven

Comment by fallenraven (original poster) at 2:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Consistency is the key, but considering that you are bipolar, then there may be other issues at work here. Have you had your son evaluated for possible mental illness? That would be the first thing that I would do-- he may be unable to control himself. The next thing that happens with my son is we tell him, I am ready to listen to you when you are ready to use your words. Please go to your room until you are calm. That really seems to help him. We also have to have a discussion whenever he gets into trouble. "You threw your toys. That is naughty. We take care of our toys. I am taking the toy you threw until you can be nice to it." He then loses the toy for a few days. My son has to understand why he is getting in trouble or he freaks out.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 1:25 PM on May. 6, 2011

• thank you for your response. unfortunately it it to early to have Ian tested for any kind of mood disorder. i want to say he reacts the way he does bc he sees me react in certain ways (but i never throw my toys). i try to get him to use his words and to talk to him calmly. he chooses to make nasty faces or throw fits just while trying to talk to him. it gets very frustrating trying to stay calm when he continues to give me attitude or to do what i have already explained is not ok.
    fallenraven

Comment by fallenraven (original poster) at 1:41 PM on May. 6, 2011