Repeat C-Section or VBAC?

p>A little over 8 years ago I had a c-section. No real medical complications, bjust a failure to dialate. After 28 hours and 3 bags of pitocin I didn't even make it to 4 cm. I'm now 13 weeks pregnant with baby #2.
I have heard lots of benefits for having a repeat c-section. Like it's less stressful if you schedule it in advance, you know what to expect, and recovery is about the same as a natural birth.
Have any of you ladies had a VBAC? Since there will be nearly 9 years between my deliveries my doc says it's up to me. I know I have some time to mull it over, but I would love to hear from you ladies.

ck8204

Asked by ck8204 at 11:24 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Vbac
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I choose a repeat c-section. To me, there was nothing to consider...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:42 PM on May. 5, 2011

• The fact of the matter is that repeat C-sections may be "less stressful" for some women, but they are MORE risky. C-sections are major surgery and they come with a lot or risks. VBAC is safer for mom and baby.

I highly recommend doing your research on it. Sure, there are benefits and risks either way. You will choose what fits your life best, sometimes the emotional benefits of RCS (repeat c-section) outweigh the risks for individual women.

A "failure to dilate" could be due to any number of things. Some of them are real reasons for C-section... most are not. Usually it indicates "failure to wait" more than "failure to progress". If you have questions about that or anything regarding birth, I'm a certified childbirth educator and would be happy to answer them :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:51 PM on May. 5, 2011

• C-sections have come a long way. Make sure to google pro VBAC and anti VBAC sites to get all the info you need. And don't let any one pressure you to get either one. Since you get to choose, you have a lot of control.

I personally am getting a repeat section. I am a candidate to attempt a VBAC, but there are many factors (age, weight, reason for 1st section was failure to progress, and ive never had a vaginal birth) against me having a successful one and ending up with a section anyway. I like the control I will have with a repeat section.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:03 AM on May. 6, 2011

• go for he vbac its a great expereance!
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 1:06 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I had a c-section and if I have another child I would have another one.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:08 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Thank you ladies. I have some time to think about it. But it's great to hear some opinions. I'm appreciate it.
    ck8204

Comment by ck8204 (original poster) at 1:10 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I vbaced, despit what they tell you a repeat- c isMUCH more dangerous, I suggest you hire a HB midwife :)GL
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 8:06 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am all for VBAC's. My third child was supposed to be a repeat c-section (1st vaginal, second section), but I went into spontaneous labor, and gave birth to him 3 hours later. Much much easier recovery than a c-section. I got to go home the next day, with minimal pain. And it is much easier to care for yourself and your eldest when you are not recovering from major surgery. Hope I can avoid a c-section again this time-my hometown does not allow VBACs.
    ericsangel82

Answer by ericsangel82 at 6:02 PM on May. 7, 2011