How much water is too much?

I'm drinking about 3+ liters a day.. 2 at work (7:30-4), then a liter from about 4-6 (at the gym).. then i only drink water when i am home... sometimes, i can drink another liter... other times, i just drink about a pint (i re-use 4 waterbottles throughout the day)... depending on how tired i am/when i go to bed.. if i go to bed early (9:30), then its a pint.. if its late (11), then its another liter

so basically.. is 3.5-4 liters to much per day?

i'm only active during my gym hours... work is a desk job... my diet isnt that great (plan on making it better)... i'm 22, 5'3" and 220 lbs. (yes, i want to lose weight- to about 150 if possible)

Shy_Dia

Asked by Shy_Dia at 11:29 PM on May. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Not sure how much is too much and had read that the 8 glasses a day they say we need is not really requires, since we can get alot of our water from fresh fruits and veggies, other foods.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:36 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I think, if you want ot lose weight - you need to add more protien in your diet. What do you eat for meals? It is good, that your drinking water and not adding the extra sugar you would get from soda or most other drinks. Do you take a multi-vitamin?
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:39 PM on May. 5, 2011

• You can safely drink up to 3 gallons of water a day after that it can be hard on the kidney's
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon plus dont hold your pee. you can drown yourself if you drink too much and dont pee.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• no, i'm detoxing from all pills right now. lol sounds stupid, but i was on anxiety pills, depression pills, wellbutrin (helped with depression, but was rx'd it b/c i had lack of libido)... as well as vit d, fish oil and a few others. right now, i want to get ALL of that stuff outta my body and work on my health.

like i said- my diet is really lacking. no breakfast... if i do lunch, its usually left overs, or again- nothing (nothing usually)... and dinner is some kind of pasta/rice (curry, speghetti, homemade yakisoba).. basically things i SHOULDNT be eating. the doctor told me to keep my 'fat carbs' low- which includes pasta. but i havent had the time to really figure out what i can eat/should it. hopefully i'll figure out a diet plan tomorrow.. well, not really diet plan- i want this to be the rst of my life! i dont wanna be 60 years old and not eating breakfast or lunch!
    Shy_Dia

Comment by Shy_Dia (original poster) at 11:45 PM on May. 5, 2011

• you can drown yourself if you drink too much and dont pee.

really? how is that possible? or was this supposed to be a joke?

(i ask cuz in the past, i never used public restrooms-- school included so i'd just wait til i got home. lol granted, i never ate/drank anything then either, so it didnt matter- nothing needed to leave my system... i've gotten over my peeing in public bathrooms.. but not my fear of going #2. lol)
    Shy_Dia

Comment by Shy_Dia (original poster) at 11:47 PM on May. 5, 2011

• it has to be hard on your bladder and kidneys to not use the restroom, if your drinking that much. I use to be the same way and now a days, i have to make myself go durning the day at work. I just put it off until I get home, then sometimes, I wonder if i'm going to make it to restroom.
    you need vitamins and mineral, maybe add a Zone bar or some other protine bar for lunch. They say skipping breakfast is bad for you. Maybe a healthy shake in the morning. Even if it's Slim Fast, for the vitamins. I use to drink one every morning when my kids were young, not cuz I wanted to diet but just to have something. And whatever you want for dinner / evening meal.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:39 AM on May. 6, 2011

• You won't lose any weight know matter how much water you drink if that's your goal. You need to eat a healthy diet, take supplements to make up for anything you may be lacking, excercise AND drink plenty of fluids. If you aren't putting enough calories in to your body it's just going to STOP burning calories all together. So, you need to put x calories in to burn y calories and it's good to change up what you eat every day so that you don't put the same exact number of calories in to your body. Not eating breakfast is one of the worst things you can do and only eating 1 meal a day most of the time is really unhealthy. While you are getting ready for work make 1 serving of non-instant oatmeal (found in the organic section of most grocery stores but it's not just organic), it takes about 5 min. (3-4 to cook and 1-2 to sit), add maple sugar or honey, cinnamon and vanilla and it takes just a couple of minutes to eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Pair that with 1 cup of veggie/fruit juice & a yogurt & drink 2 cups of water and your good to go. It's quick and it's nutritious. Pack a salad for lunch....a salad will give you some of the water intake you need. Drink 2 cups of water after lunch. Remember, if you drink tea, milk, coffee or juice you are also getting your daily liquid intake that way. After supper drink 2 cups of water and after a snack drink 2 cups of water.

I have read that the average person should take in approx. 1/2 of their body weight in liquid per day so for you that would be approx. 110 oz. a day...count coffee, tea, water, milk and juice in that amount.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on May. 6, 2011

• You're drinking about a gallon a day, give or take depends on that pint vs liter, so you're fine. you're actually doing great if that's all you drink and are getting your water in - I wish I could get myself to drink that much water (I don't drink enough, period).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on May. 6, 2011