Little Girls with BIG Questions...

I need major advice. First let me say our girls are VERY smart & advanced thinkers. Our two oldest girls are at that stage in thier life where they are hearing things from friends at school about boys, sex, periods and about having babies. They are very inquisitive and want to know ALL about thier period, reproductive system and boys.... I have no idea what to say to them. I told them that sex is for married adults and although many teens do have sex that they are compromising thier morals and values. I explained about thier period but they wanted more details than I was prepared to give them. I don't want to give them too many details about sex & boys at thier young age but I also don't want them mis- informed by other kids. I told them they can always come to me and ask any questions with an open door and non judgemental floor & get an honest answer from me...Any advice?

thomaspartyof7

Asked by thomaspartyof7 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• BTW .. forgot to say that they are 9 yrs old. They'll be 10 in March. :)
    thomaspartyof7

Answer by thomaspartyof7 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Sounds like the perfect time for them to learn about their periods. I sure wish my mom had told me what to expect with it lol. I had 1 friend that had her period so I had seen it but I didn't know anything about it or what I was supposed to do once I got it. Alot of girls are starting at 10, 11, 12 now so it will be useful info to them. Also, I would hold off on the sex as much as you can. Give them basic answers and if they ask more specific questions, answer those too with basic answers. Just make sure you keep pushing that its for married couples. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• You should probably go ahead and tell them about periods and what to do when you get one and so forth. I started my first one around 10 or 11 and didn't know what to do. I had to get a crash course from my mom that night. Lol.

If they keep asking about sex, tell them about AIDS and HIVs. It might ward off the questions for awhile! hehe
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I did explain to them about diseases and Aids and also told them I started my period at age 9. They really are smart so I am hoping they understand the dangers. We are also strong christians and want them to be stron in thier morals and value sand wait until marraige to give themselves away, however we are not blind to todays society and know that all we can do is instill good values in them and trust they will use good judgement.
    thomaspartyof7

Answer by thomaspartyof7 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i would really value your open relationship with your daughters. i think it's great.

be as honest and informative as possible. remember to remind them of "rules" when it comes to boy (dating, and what not if you have rules).

you can also show them the CDC (center of disease control)website, which give a lot of information of sexual transmitted diseases... as well as other great information on health.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I remember asking my mom where babies came from when I was around their age. She took me to the library and and told me everything from what sex was and what can happen if you do it. Her honesty had me scared to have sex till I was almost 19. I say be honest so that they get it from you and not from their friends. And when it comes to the period there are some good books out there which talk about everything from body changes to mood swings. I know it really helped me to see pictures and experiences when I was learning about the change.
    studentmom27

Answer by studentmom27 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I love that you have that open communication as well as the christian values, GO HEAD MOMMA!! lol...but yes definitely, try to show them the website CDC and keep up with the morals and values. Defintely emphaze about the "giveing yourself" to someone (husband) and how important that is. Those values kept me good all the way up until my husband, and I was in the time when society is trying to make it ok to have sex as a teen. Definitely have the dating talk, the dangers, and let them know what boys will say to try to sleep with them, and the likelyhood of a young boy staying with them after they give themselves to them, which leads back into "waiting until marriage".
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 12:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I started my period at ten and knew ALL about sex from friends. My daughter is eight and already knows all about it. I rather she learn my values with the info than what the media portrays
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 9:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I used to be a teacher and I remember an 8yo girl coming down to the office in tears. Her period had started and she thought she was dying! Girls are starting younger and younger. (Better nutrition, weight issues, hormones in the food...some of the causes according to our pediatrician) I had "THE TALK" with my DD the week she turned 10. Because even though I was 13 when I started, the pediatrician said that I really needed to talk with her now. The sooner... the better! So she knows even if it doesn't happen for a while. (Which I'm hoping is the case.)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 12:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2008