During childbirth---epidural or demoral?

So has anyone experienced childbirth on demoral? If so.. what were your thoughts on the matter? Did it make you drowsy? Take away all the pain? I had the epidural but maybe some of you have experienced them both and can give a thought to which you would recommend? Thanks!

Ariannas_Mom08

Asked by Ariannas_Mom08 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Health

• Demorol will pretty much make you miss your birth and does NOT have a lasting effect. It wears off quick. Go with the Epi. I loved it! Epidural is better than demerol.

Your probally going to get bashed by those all natural birth moms who think your killing your baby by using things like that. I hate when people don't answer the question right.
    Anonymous

• Had both.Demerol with my 1st and it wore off in the hour before I had to push so it gave me no pain relief

Epidural with my second and it worked great but didnt like it.They had to tell me when I was contracting.Wouldnt have another.

Good luck hun!
    Anonymous

• I had a demeral shot and it made my baby's heartrate drop without giving me any real relief from the pain of my contractions which were very strong b/c I had cervadil, and cyctotec at that point. I have had both done and this time (I'm 33 weeks) I'm not doing either. I would much rather stick with hydro therapy rather then risk the complications of either one of those.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I've never had Demerol. I had epidurals with all three of mine and my deliveries went smoothly. I was able to tell when I had a contraction by the feeling that I had to have a bowel movement. I would suggest the epidural to women who have had a normal, no risk pregnancy. GL!!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i've never had either. i had 3 natural childbirths. not bragging. its just that... if you keep the thought that it will be over with before too long at the front of your mind.. and apply breathing exercises and relaxation techniques.. you can make it through and feel like a million bucks when its over with.. not hungover.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for your answers everyone! a friend of mine is close to term and I wanted to try and convince her away from the demoral. I had the epidural like I said, and I felt great afterward, thanks for your honesty!
    Ariannas_Mom08

Answer by Ariannas_Mom08 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I can't remember what they gave me with my first I tried some narcotic and I hated it. I got it after 15 hours of labor and I would fall asleep between contractions but wake up with a start when they started. And it made me very nauseous I couldn't open my eyes without feeling woozy. But that was probably because I hadn't eaten if forever. Got the epi a bit after that and was so glad I was just soooo tired. With my second I went in and said they could give me the epi when ever they were ready and it was great. We really enjoyed that whole birth!! Just my experience good luck to you.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• The demerol was a joke basically. I still hurt but I was so "drugged" I just lay there thinking "This sucks. It still hurts" but I was too tired feeling to move. Then it wore off & well, still hurt! And they wont give it to you very close to the birth anyway. If you are dilated too far you just miss that "window of opportunity" for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2008