So..Advice.

So, I'm 17, and live in an apartment with my DH. Right down the hall, is an 18 year old in my situation. She's married, and has a 3 year old son and is pregnant with another boy. We're friends, and she's going to finish her last year of high school this year, like me. She's decided to go to work after the baby is born..like 2, 3, 4 months after. Her mom watched her son during school but asked for ALOT of money, so she was looking for someone to watch her kids while she works. Well, I'm pregnant with, my firsts, twin boys who are due a week before her baby, but being right down the hall she asked me. I said I'd think about it...I don't know..I think I'll say yes. I've grown-up babysitting kids, I've babysat 5 kids at one time when I was 14 and it went fine and they were about 1 to 2. But still, 3 couple of month babies, and a (VERY well behaved) 3 year old. Anyway, she asked me how much I'd charge and I know she's tight on money...so I said $65 - $70 a week...I know that's under what most people charge, but like I said she's tight on money and IS my friend..So, what do you think? Can I handle watching 3 babies, and a 3 year old alone all day, while cooking, and cleaning till husband gets home? And, should I charge more? Sorry this is so long..lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Those first couple of weeks with newborns are a doozy if you feel up to it sure why not since she said she wasn't goin back to work for a few months if you feel comfortable with it at that point why not?
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 1:17 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I think there's only one way to find out, but I would make sure she has a backup plan just in case it doesn't work out. It's stressful and tiring enough being a new mommy! Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:18 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I think you should explain to her that you WANT to help her but youre not sure you can do it so you can tell her you can TRY it but explain to her that it might not work. if its too much you can just tell her you can't handle it and hopefully she understands because its better for the kids... i would just explain to her you want to try and help but it might not work out.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:18 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Wow, that's alot to undertake at such a young age. What does your dh think about this? He should be the one to answer this. It's alot of work to feed, diaper 3 babies and make sure the 3yr old is happy. Why don't you visit a daycare and see what it's like before you actually agree to anything. If you should decide to do this, get everything in writing and a form from her Dr's office giving you permission to take her child to the dr. if need be. In case of emergency and you're unable to reach her.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:21 AM on May. 6, 2011

• You could agree to try it and see how it goes. Agree to a trial period. And you might look at care.com for ideas on what people in your area pay/charge. GL!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:26 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:11 PM on May. 6, 2011

• 65 for 5 days would only be 13 dollars a day! that is soooooo cheap! you should be getting paid 13 dollars an hour. if you get 100 a week make sure you're not working more than2 and a half hours because at that point you'd be working for minimum wage.
    well what is she gonna do when she gets a job? will she still turn to you for your low prices? will that stop you from getting a job? or would you consider babysitter for her your job? if you plan on living off babysitting for her i would say ask for more just because you're gonna want more late on when you realize she has a job but you dont (or maybe you do i dont know)
    but with school and work, babysitting is a lot to ask!! cuz i wouldnt want it to get in the way of all you have goin on.
    so atleast shoot for 100 a week not including weekends and for only 2 hours a day.
    Charge her NO less than 8.50 an hour!
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 11:01 PM on May. 7, 2011