Someone please tell my husband that this is normal for toddlers!

He doesn't believe me that it's normal for kids to cling to one parent and for this to change from time to time. We've been through a lot recently and the kids have been tending to cling toward me. For example, when they get in trouble by either one of us, they whine for mommy. He has it in his head that they don't love him anymore bc he works and isn't home with them. *sigh* I've tried telling him it's normal for kids to "cling" to one parent or ask for "mommy" when they are sad or in trouble. Someone else plz tell him if this is normal or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Super normal ! For some reason my daughter always comes running to me ,when her dad tells her she is being bad, or tries to get her to obey him. I have no clue why she does this,because I ALWAYS ,just tell her "Well, you should have listened to Daddy!" Most kids are more comfortable hangin' with mom because they are around her more. My daughters were pretty clingy with me, but they love their dad to death. Now that my oldest is 9 ,she is much more able to tell her dad how much she loves him,and is super happy to go do things with him. It just takes some time. Toddlers are hard to figure out. They are just babies! They don't know what to think :) ha ha
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 1:19 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Lol. That is so normal!
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 1:14 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Hubby, it is so normal. Parents go in and out of favor.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:15 AM on May. 6, 2011

• completely normal !!!! its even a good sign Dr's say in that they are learning to make small decisions etc, its just something parents just have to try not to take personally. I noticed when my daughter was younger she was clingy to whoever was around her more, normally me but now that she is going on 4 Dad is more popular as she sees less of him.....
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:16 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'm a single mom and i wished for one day for them to cling to someone else! lol Then they became teenagers and tweens and want nothing to do with me! I kinda wish they would cling to me sometimes now! lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:20 AM on May. 6, 2011

• yes its normal especially if u breast feed and the more lenient one they will draw to as well
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 1:26 AM on May. 6, 2011

• one of my twins does this with my mom because she watches them all morning. its just a young kid thing, they'll out grow it.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:19 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Yep that is normal my 3 were like that... especially my youngest.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:20 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Yup my boys were the same. Daddy was always upset over it, but he never complained (and nither did I lol) when they were jumping off my lap and running to him when he came home rom work. It will go back and forth. Toddlers re fickle creatures lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:24 AM on May. 6, 2011

• yes it is completely normal and my boys do this from time to time especially when they are sick they come to me more then their dad
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:43 AM on May. 6, 2011