Medication

When (if ever) do you think its "OK" for children to be placed on medications for things such as depression, ADHD, anxiety, or bipolar disorder?
What would you do if a doctor recommended your child be medicated for something like those?? (I'm honestly curious....)

jess_merrick874

Asked by jess_merrick874 at 2:35 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Diet modification and conditioning focusing when needed. ( Sit with them day after day helping them to study)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• That doesn't even answer the question.

When people ask these kinds of questions I always wonder: if their kid was diagnosed with diabetes would they consider not treating it? If they had an ear infection would they refuse antibiotics if needed? If they broke a leg would they brush it off and try something else first before treating it?

I find it sad that mental illnesses and mood disorders are still seen as something taboo...that don't really need to be treated or whatever. As someone that suffers with these and has since childhood completely untreated...I can tell you it isn't fun. It's not fun to be 12 and think there is something so fundamentally wrong with you that slitting your wrists is preferable to troubling your family. I definitely needed to be medicated but my parents never even thought about it...It was just teen stuff...I'd grow out of it. 20+ years later...still dealing, still need to be medicated.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:47 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Mostly I was asking because I was wondering about other people opinions on the matter. I have ADHD myself and have been treated for many years. I"m all for the responsible usage of the medication (meaning I don't think that every kid that walks into a doctors office who's fidgety should be diagnosed as having ADHD. I believe that people with depression and biopolar disorder do need to be treated for their chemical imbalances as well (and those with anxiety disorders as well.
    I don't think that anyone should be handed a precription and shoved out the door though. I believe in behavioral counseling to go along with it.
    As for an age to begin treatment, I honestly think that should be left to the parent to decide. They're the ones who are having to maintain order in the family. IF the parents and child decide that it's time ti medicate, then by all mean,s medicate. If they choose to wait, more power to them.
    jess_merrick874

Comment by jess_merrick874 (original poster) at 3:11 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Honestly, I have ADHD and, when I was a child, my mother refused to medicate me. Now I kind of wish she had. I had a lot of problems with my lack of attention and my inability to concentrate in class. I don't believe in medicating them when their little, like I had a two year old when I was working at a day care center that was on medication for ADHD. Her mother said that she was hyper and unable to focus and I told her that that wasn't ADHD that was a two year old.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:12 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It's all just the pharmeceutical companies trying to push pills on to children so they can make more money. Do you honestly think prescription drugs help people? They don't. All they do is get people addicted to pain meds and happy pills. It's just a legal way to deal drugs. I mean what did children do BEFORE they came up with all these drugs? There had to be some natural method of therapy.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:20 AM on May. 6, 2011

• i really dont believe in medicating for ADHD or anxiety. those are things working with the child to teach them ways of dealing with it imo are more beneficial. there are different levels of deression an bi polar.. most of the time they dont need nedication to treat when they are on their own but if they had adhd + depression + bi-polar, thats typically when medication is necessary.

so my opinion, when the issues are alone or minor (like most cases) there are LOTS of natural solutions to help get through these... meditation is a good example of a natural way to deal with stress or depression.. sports, or in most cases when it's a child, just more love and attention can help. Too many people use these things to explain away bad parenting IMO. Are there true cases of it? Sure, but I bet a majority of those medicated for just one of them could do without their meds and be fine if the parents stepped up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:18 AM on May. 6, 2011

• In fact I was just reading some of the yahoo news clips they post, and they've come out with an entirely new disorder.. for picky eaters. According to the article.. it calls adult picky eaters OCD. lol. I'm a picky eater, but even I know that I could change my behavior if I truly wanted to just by trying new things, which when I"m certain places I do.. I'm just a bad cook on top of being picky, so at home I seldom try something way out there at home without trying it out and about first (at least then if it was bad somewhere else and bad at home, I know it wasn't just me that screw up the dish, lol).
    But there is no way I'd seek medication just because some one out there decides to label me as OCD now. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:23 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It would take more than a doctor "telling" me to medicate my kid for me to do it. There are better ways than to zombie out your kid because the teacher or the doctor says they are had to handle.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:48 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I am medicated for anxiety and honestly without it I am a constant manic! I am worried, stressed, cant relax, I gt over upet over small things! I NEED my Celexa for my anxiety! ( it is also used for other things but I take it strictly for anxirty).... some people do need meds for things i they are bad enough.... BUT mykids will never be medicated until they make that choice at the earliest age of 15! Not nessacry IMO in a child!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:49 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I think it is NEVER okay to medicate children with mind-altering drugs. None of those medications are designed for children, and they can cause brain damage, heart attacks in children, violent behavior, etc. Prolonged use of Ritalin causes the heart to enlarge and stiffen. Prozac can cause violent tendencies that can escalate to murder and/or suicide.
    Of all the school shootings that have made the news in the past few years, every single shooter had some sort of prescription-dose mind-altering medication in his blood stream.

Watch the documentary "Generation Rx" for a real eye-opener.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 11:10 AM on May. 6, 2011