I had my dad babysit my son while i was working, and when i came home my dad was drunk...

My dad babysits my son all the time while im working, and ive never had any problems. but i should tell you now that my dad used to be an alcoholic, my mom divorced him because she would come home from work and my dad wouldnt remember if me and my brother were still in the bath tub. anyway, i came home and my dad was slurring his words... which means he has been drinking vodka (this doesnt happen if hes just been drinking beer). luckily my brother and his gf were over, they stayed for the safety of my son since they noticed my dad was drinking. i brought it all up to my dad, and he denied everything (he was intoxicated of course). but im kinda nervous about bringing it up to him tomorrow, how should i go about doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Tell him that you didnt fall off the turnip truck yesterday and you know that he was intoxicated while he was babysitting your son. Tell him you dont feel comfortable with him watching your son if he is going to be drinking and that you will find someone else to watch your son.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 2:54 AM on May. 6, 2011

• If he denied it while he was drunk, the best thing to do is ask him while he's sober. It's going to be difficult, but just let him know that he's supposed to be babysitting, not acting like the baby. That kind of behavior is not acceptable, and if I caught my dad drinking while taking care of my kids (or supposed to be) I wouldn't let him babysit anymore. I'd find a new babysitter and only let my children over there when I was with them! It's not safe. Luckily your brother was there, because had your child went outside and the wrong hands would have grabbed him (which I'm very thankful they didn't) they could of walked off with him or even called Family Services on you. Not good in any case. This is a serious matter that if your father isn't going to take seriously or take responibility for his actions, he doesn't need to be allowed to watch your child again!
    MomOfTwoAt19

Answer by MomOfTwoAt19 at 2:57 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'm sorry, but if you knew your dad has a problem with alcohol in your own experience growing up, you shouldn't have left your son with him in the first place. That's no excuse on his part, but you should have better judgement on who watches your child. He might be your dad and you might love him, but that doesn't mean you can trust him. Try looking for someone you can rely on to watch your child from now on.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:13 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I was waiting for the vote down. Some people can't handle the truth right between the eyes. I don't trust my dad to watch my kids, even when he does seem to be in a good mood. He's unpredictable.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:51 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Your dad didn't "used to be" an alcoholic...he was and always will be an alcoholic. He may have been recovering or at least abstaining for a time, but now that he's fallen off the proverbial wagon, he's an active alcoholic again and should not be trusted to watch your son. What you do to try to help him or intervene is up to you, but in the meantime, if he's not in recovery, you should not leave your son with him.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:08 AM on May. 6, 2011

• If I were you..I would find other options for watching your son. There wouldn't be a chance in he** that I'd even think about leaving my daughter with someone with THAT track record. Best of luck...I'm sure this is a difficult situation for you.
    Ella_Bella20

Answer by Ella_Bella20 at 9:02 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Hopefully you have another option bc I would be very hesitant to leave my los w him
    KRob85

Answer by KRob85 at 9:12 AM on May. 6, 2011

• its not was and always will be thank you. I was an alcoholic and I have been sober for almost 5 years and I will NEVER touch an alcoholic beverage EVER again! So thanks, but your wrong!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 11:10 AM on May. 6, 2011

• But yea, if your dad has went back to drinking then I would be hesitant about leaving him. Just talk to him when hes sober!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 11:11 AM on May. 6, 2011

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually, I'm not wrong. Just because you have 5 years sober does not mean that you're no longer an alcoholic. It means that you're an alcoholic who is in recovery and not currently using, which is good of course. But the second you start thinking that you are no longer an alcoholic is when that door opens that leads you to think maybe, just maybe one little drink won't hurt....I've seen many, many recovering alcoholics fall off the wagon that way. I really have no idea why you're so defensive anyway.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:07 PM on May. 6, 2011