Genital Herpes?

Has anyone given birth vaginally with genital herpes? I have genital herpes and haven't had a breakout at all during my pregnancy, and my doctor says as long as I don't have a breakout, the chances of giving birth vaginally safely are good, but he still offers the C-section. I want to give birth naturally soooo badly, but even though there is a very little chance of infecting my baby, I still feel slightly worried. Has anyone given birth with genital herpes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• no i haven't. i don't have gh. you should follow the docs' advice, better safe than sorry. if for some reason the baby gets gh imagine how guilty you will feel that you could have done something to prevent this. good luck
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:40 AM on May. 6, 2011

• http://herpesnation.blogspot.com/2007/07/herpes-and-natural-childbirth.html This is just one link. I have had friends who gave birth naturally (even one at home as a water birth) who had herpes and no issues at all. During your last month you will take a medicine to prevent an outbreak. If you are not having an outbreak you will not infect your child. Also, breastfeeding afterwards (as long as possible) will give your baby all of your antibodies you carry which is very important.
    XxPixiesworldxX

Answer by XxPixiesworldxX at 4:08 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'm a medical assistant and know that as long as you aren't having a breakout you can do it safely. They will give you Valtrex a month before you are due to deliiver. If you have a breakout you will have to have a C-section. GL and I wish you the best!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:26 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It will be fine to deliver vaginally unless you are having an outbreak. Your doctor is right. I'd love to talk to you but I am going anon for obvious reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 6, 2011