How do you tell people you don't want them in the room when you breastfeed at the hospital?

I don't even want my mom in there for that part. i know it's weird but I never did it with my other kids and i feel sweird about it but i am wanting to give it a try, just in private! i don't want to hurt anyones feelings though and i am not very assertive

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 4:35 AM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe you can tell your mom ahead of time. "Mom, this is all new to me. Would you mind if I breast fed my baby alone while in the hospital?". I mean, she won't find it wrong for you to ask. It's natural. Also, maybe you can ask her, if she doesn't mind, if other people are in the room with you and her when you give the, "Mom, do you think he's hungry? Should I try feeding him?" que, maybe she can stand up and direct conversation outside for you. That way you wont have to worry about being rude, it'll seem like your mother is the one who wants you to have your privacy...

Idk, just a suggestion. Good luck sweetie
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 4:56 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I know exactly what you mean!!! I am very private like that and get offended when people are me if I am going to breast feed! lol Like why do they want to know. I find that to be TMI when people want to know that. To be honest , you are going to have to be straight up. Even if it does hurt their feelings or not, they should respect you in that department. Like my family: they are very hard headed and they don't care what my wishes are. So I have to tell them harshly. Sorry if that does not help.
    MegReny

Answer by MegReny at 5:58 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It wasn't about breastfeeding for me it was about when I was about pushing. I told the father of my child I didn't want anyone else in the room while I was in labor. He let his mom, auntie. and grandmother in. Needless to say I gave them some choice words lol but just tell the nurse and she will have everyone leave. GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:19 AM on May. 6, 2011

• thanks, that is very good advice :)
    Ethans_Ma

Comment by Ethans_Ma (original poster) at 5:02 AM on May. 6, 2011

• be honest and tell her that you feel more comfortable without her in the room and when you are finished she is welcome to come back in and visit. You can also talk to the nurses and express how you feel and what you want and who you want in your room and who you don't. Talk to her ahead of time and let her know what your wishes are. Also you may want to put it in writing and give it to the nurses so they have it written down in case you do forget to tell them. That is what I did when I had my boys and no one was allowed in the room at certain times. Good luck and enjoy motherhood
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:25 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd just say, "Excuse me, but I have to feed the baby now." and then look at them and they will probably leave. lol Or, you could talk to your nurse, and when it's time to feed the baby, she can shoo them all out for you without it being because YOU want them out, you know? She could say anything, like baby and mom need some quiet time or something. They are good like that :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:56 AM on May. 6, 2011

• You can have the nurse put a sign on your door. Just ask her to put a sign on the door that you are not to be disturbed.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:24 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Our rooms had do not disturb signs we could put up whenever but it never helped! I wondered the same thing and let it intruppt w my oldest. My youngest I just said ok time to feed... can we get a few min? And everyone was fine w it
    KRob85

Answer by KRob85 at 9:31 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My DH told everyone for me. When I was ready to BF, DH took everyone out of the room and down to the cafeteria. It was fine. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:57 AM on May. 6, 2011