Is it hard to ween your baby from breast feeding?

Ok, I know most people will say when the baby is ready but it is a big step for me to even give it a try. I want it to work but I am just curious if I decide to stop before she does it naturally how difficult will it be?

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 4:36 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the baby. Some wean easily, and other don't. Best method, other then child led, is to drop one nursing session per week. If baby is under 12 mos, you will want to replace one session per week with formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:49 PM on May. 6, 2011

• There are a lot of things it would depend on. How old is your baby, have you ever supplemented, have you ever given breastmilk in a bottle, have you ever given *anything* in a bottle. And then a lot depends on your child.
    With my first I began supplementing at 5mos and he was completely weaned at 7mos although that wasn't really my intention. With my 2nd, he just wasn't as interested around 8 or 9 months so I began to take advantage of it and started supplementing then. It was much easier the 2nd time. Because there was a window of opportunity where he was showing interest in his cups more, probably.
    If you can take it slowly, do so. You may find yourself nursing before bed or first thing in the morning even after he's got formula the rest of the day. They still like that mommy and me time.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 6:03 AM on May. 6, 2011

• She was just over 2 when i weened. I told her she drank it all, that there was none left & she believed me,.......
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:40 AM on May. 6, 2011

• omg samurai I am going to have to try that one, DD is 15 months and is really not showing any interest in weaning. I will give her a little more time but by 2 I really want this to be over.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:15 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It really depends on your child, my oldest was weened at 6 to breast milk bottles because she bit. My DS hated when I worked and would not eat until I got home..... that was over 9 hours, so I switched to working from home. I tried to get my youngest to accept a bottle, went through every bottle out there, she refused...... Some babies would rather go hungry than to accept a bottle, depends on how stubborn they are....
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 8:31 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Depends on the child and the age. It becomes easier as they get older, believe it or not. The YOUNGER they are, the more they will resist. They are smarter than us about what they need, you know. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 AM on May. 6, 2011