Would you be offended?

So my husband and i announced the names we have picked out for our baby who is due in november (don't know the babies sex yet) we like McKenzie for a girl and Lukas for a boy....... now his father has told us if we spell Lukas the way we want all he'll call him is Luck ass would anyone else be offended his wife my MIL is laughing at me for the stupid spelling (her words not mine i love the spelling not very different in my opinion) and makes fun of our daughters name Kyleigh because it's a weird spelling......ok vent over am i over reacting that they would give me an ultimatum change the spelling or have us make fun of him all his life

krissii

Asked by krissii at 5:05 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Baby Names

• Wow, your in laws sound very immature....they essentially told you they are going to tease and make your (possible) son suffer because they don't like the spelling you are using for his name. Would I be offended this? Yes, and every time they said it "luck ass" I'd toss them out or leave their house. You can't remove someones head from their ass once they made up their mind to use it as a hat ...unfortunately.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 5:25 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I would definitely be offended, I wanted to name our daughter SkyLeigh Nycole and got all kinds of flack from it, we named her Natalie Rose instead, which after 5 years I'm okay with it but it bothered me for the first couple years. You name YOUR child what you want, spell it how you want and if they tease your child, cut them out of your life. It's not hard to just say hey, you know what, you aren't going to give my child a complex either act like an adult and keep your mouth shut or stay out of his life. Oh and by the way Luck is spelled just like that LUCK not Luk... oh and I love the name Luka so I'm backing ya no matter what LOL. I think it is a wonderful name, and I like the spelling of Lukas.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:07 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Actually the spelling is correct in many countries....for example, Poland. Tell your father in law if he were more worldly he'd know that.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:50 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd tell both in-laws if they continue this assanine behavior, they won't have to worry about the spelling or even teasing, because they won't be seeing the kids. But that's just me and my opinion. I don't play all that nonsense when it comes to how dh and I raise OUR children. If grandparents are already saying they'll torment the kid; and he's not in the world yet. That speaks volumes about the kind of people they are. It's cruel enough that when they are of school age, kids will find other things to tease about. So now they have family that will do the same thing?? In short, yes, I'd be very much offended and my top would've popped at the moment they spewed the filth from their mouths. SMH ... VERY immature and ridiculous. They don't deserve to be as involved in the kids' lives. Good luck, mama and for the record, I looove the names.
    ButterflyKissed

Answer by ButterflyKissed at 8:27 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I agree with Syphon, the way you want to spell it is a legitimate spelling of the name; see here. Your in-laws are just being stupid and mean.

Love.4

Answer by Love.4 at 9:35 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Tell them get over and treat you children with respect, or they can get used to not seeing the children. I'm not personally a fan of made up spellings, but as a PP mentioned Lukas isn't made up, it is a correct spelling in several languages including German and Lithuanian.
    Even if it was "mad-up" an adult's personal opinion of a name should never lead to making fun of a child. Adults are supposed to be above that kind of crap. If they are that crappy as grandparents, I would seriously limit how much time that they spent with my children. Your children deserve to feel loved by their family, not ridiculed.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:56 AM on May. 6, 2011

• That's why no one is being told the actual name of our baby before she is born. People are rude & thoughtless. It's your baby, you make the decisions. I know it's exciting to share news but it's less stress on you to not tell anything until the baby is born & named by you! GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:13 AM on May. 6, 2011

• uhm. its your child. NOT your MIL's your mothers, or anyone elses. i think the name is handsome! and the girls, almost as good as mine :]
    momma_amanda77

Answer by momma_amanda77 at 11:46 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I don't like unusual spellings for names, I like to stick to the traditional side but your in-laws sound like asses! It's your child, not theirs. They should respect what you want to name your child. All that matters is if you and your husband like the names. And it's horrible that they already make fun of their granddaughter's name. That's ridiculous. I'd tell them to shove it. lol.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:19 PM on May. 6, 2011

• The reason we've picked the spelling Lukas is because we both are german and wanted to embrace that just like with our DD as Kyleigh Brenna we wanted a irish spelling to honor our irish heritage i too am not a fan of made up names or ones that you can't even guess how to pronounce them but just love the names i am inches away from just saying back off and back out
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 8:16 PM on May. 6, 2011