Breast feeding frequency question. newborn

my daughter is 3 days old :)
and she eats every 3 hours about. my milk just came in. i was wondering since its not collostrum now does she need to eat more, less, or the same? i know shell let me know but i was just curious what to expect! thank you :)

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 5:23 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• About the same, every 3 hours or so. My 2nd was every 3hrs as well. Consider yourself lucky it's not every 2! Congratulations on your new LO, enjoy her!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 5:55 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I will warn you because nobody warned me... at about 3-4 weeks she will go through a growth spurt and want to nurse practically nonstop. I think my son nursed every 45 minutes and I swore something was wrong with him!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:28 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Oh yes, peanutsmommy has a good point! That happens around then, and around 3 months or so and again later on...
    A lot of women mistakenly believe they are not producing enough milk and their baby's aren't being fed enough but THAT IS NOT TRUE! So keep with it and don't doubt yourself when that happens! Your milk will keep up with her as long as you feed on demand :)
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:03 AM on May. 6, 2011

• The first night home from the hospital my son nursed every half an hour, all night long. This went on for 2 days, day and night and I almost lost it. My hubby supported me and we got through it, though. As hard as it was it was sooo very worth it. When he was 2 weeks he went through a growth spurt and did the same thing all over again, and again a few weeks later. Breastmilk is so easily digested that they pretty much do go non-stop when they are growth spurting. This is actually a GOOD thing, contrary to what all the breastfeeding nay-sayers told me. My son never had one diaper rash until we started on solid food, and I can count the times he spit up in his entire life on one hand. P.S. And my boobies look better than they ever did!! Bonus!!! Another thing non-breastfeeders told me was that my boobs would sag and look gross if I breastfed. Not true!!!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:06 AM on May. 6, 2011

• on demand-- breast fed babies should be breast fed on demand PERIOD there will be times in your bf life where they baby will nurse what seems like all day and other times when 4x a day is all they do baby to breast on demand is the best advice for success

when you say your milk just came in you are a bit confused durring the initial baby to breast period your baby got colostrum always even if you did notrealize it then your milk supply came in and your colostrum was replaced with milk when a baby is put to breast they ALWAYS get something---- colostum is mostly protein and water with LOTS of immune 'stuff'
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:42 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Follow her lead. Take a sledgehammer to your timepieces and NEVER time feedings. NEVER. On demand only. Yes, SHE will let you know. Count dipes. At three days, three changes. Tomorrow, four. And so on till one week, where the change count goes to 6-8 per 24 hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:42 AM on May. 6, 2011

• On demand. Might be every 3 hrs today, every hour tomorrow, every 2 hrs the next day...your best bet is to NOT worry about how often, and just nurse when she needs it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:47 PM on May. 6, 2011

• My son nurses about every 2.5 hours (one week old to one month old), but during the night he'll only want fed about every 4 hours.

"Cluster Feeding" is their growth-spurt time, and he's had a few days where he goes absolutely crazy/rabid and must have food every 45 minutes for about a day. He's frantic, even while eating, and if it didn't hurt so bad it would be cute!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:18 PM on May. 6, 2011

• like gdiamante said toss the clock. nurse on demand. i suggest you get the la leche league book the womanly art of breastfeeding and also Thats what they are for by Janet tamaro
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:32 PM on May. 6, 2011