SAHM?

Do you sometimes feel that others look down on you and judge you because you are a SAHM and don't work? What do you do or say?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:21 AM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• If someone is looking down on you for being a SAHM then they don't deserve to be in your life. Being a SAHM has to be one of the hardest yet most rewarding jobs out there. Be proud of who you are.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:36 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Some do. I consider them to be lacking in self confidence and unsure that they made the right decision for their life. People who are comfortable with what they are doing themselves, are also comfortable with others who make different decisions. The same goes for sahm's who bash working moms.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:40 AM on May. 6, 2011

• If people are looking down on you, then they are HATING! Trust me I get people that openly admit that they are JEALOUS! It's okay , because I'd rather be out there working, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    MegReny

Answer by MegReny at 6:23 AM on May. 6, 2011

• No, never. I surround myself with positive people.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:35 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Only really from the people I grew up - in my husband's culture and family it's pretty normal and actually is commended. From my family and the people I went to highschool with I actually get quite a bit of teasing about it, they just don't understand how it's productive or so they say. I tell them to wait until they have children.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 6:52 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Not so much...I think I give myself enough grief over it! I used to work and helped bring in the $$$ but after my son was born it just became too complicated and expensive (day care, gas, etc...) I left the workplace in 2006 but I still sometimes feel guilty. However, I did homeschool my daughter for awhile and plan to again (as well as my son) this fall so I'll be a very busy bee again. But to answer the question I don't much care what others think about our decision about me being a SAHM. They don't walk in my shoes nor do they pay my bills! LOL
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 7:27 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Nope, my thought is being a SAHM or a working mother is a personal decision, and whatever decision being done is in the best interest of that family. I've been both, and now I'm a WAHM.... just because I do something doesn't make it the right thing for another family to do. I have found that if you feel bad about being a SAHM that others can pick up on that, just like if you feel guilty for working outside the home.... but to each their own... no matter what you do stand behind the decisions you make, the only ones you have to worry about making happy are you and your children (and sometimes the hubby or SO lol)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I have to say I don't think people look down on my because I am a SAHM and if they do I totally ignore it. They have never walked in my shoes, just like I have never walked in theirs. The people who know me well understand my situation and those that don't know my don't have a right to judge me. So people can think what they want about me staying home, I love it and I am so glad my DH and I decided that it was the best thing for our family.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:38 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I tell people that this is the hardest and most challenging job that I've ever had; one in which no amount of education will guarantee that you'll do well, where you can't be down-sized or laid off (even if you sometimes want to be), have no sick days or vacations, where you are on call 24/7, and don't bring home a pay check. Then again it's the only work I know where you will wake up every morning and still love your job, the same way you did when you were first blessed with it.

Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:58 AM on May. 6, 2011

• No, never. Then again me and all my friends are SAHMs and when someone knows I'm a SAHM they never look down or judge me because that's something my husband and I decided I should do. We felt that it would be better if I stayed home and raised our daughter.

For those who have a problem with SAHMs and want to look down and judge our decisions to stay at home, I say that's their problem, who are they to judge? They have no right to judge or look down on SAHMs because that's what we decided to do.
    Holtswife24

Answer by Holtswife24 at 8:16 AM on May. 6, 2011