Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What happens if you don't go to the meeting after you've been served with papaers to appear?

I'm having a hard time paying my credit card bills and was just served papers. I plan on eventually claiming bankruptcy, but can't right now becasue I don't have the money to claim.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • If you are served then you must go. Id talk to a public defender just for the sake of knowledge. Go to the local PD and see who you can speak too. Advice is better than nothing. Good Luck!

    Answer by Steph319 at 7:12 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • It depends on your state. In my state you just have to file a response to the claim. From there a judge will decide if the creditor can garnish your wages or not. I would try and call the creditor to see if there is something you can work out. Let them know you are trying to avoid filing for bankruptcy.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 7:12 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • Im not sure what you mean by meeting though. I thought that you were served to appear in court? Im sure that its the same with court though but not 100% If it is then you can have a warrant for your arrest

    Answer by Steph319 at 7:13 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • Contact the attorneys that prepared the papers that were served to you. They might be able to help you create a payment plan or settlement that is cheaper than what you owe. Regardless at this point you'll probably end up with a judgement on your creidt history. Definitely don't ignore it!

    Answer by tspillane at 7:15 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • If she can't pay her bills, how is she going to hire an attorney? I've heard that they can take you to court, the judge will ask can you pay it? You say no.. and what else can they do. If you don't have the money, you don't have it. So they garnish wages and you end up not being able to pay your rent. You lose you home, lose your job and end up living off the government.
    I don't understand..

    Answer by SassySue123 at 7:47 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • It's not a criminal case, so you won't be arrested or anything. You will just lose your case and be required to pay back, plus all fees. If you have no medical reason for not going I would still go to explain yourself it weighs much heavier for your case than not showing up at all. Why wouldn't you go?

    Answer by yesmaam at 7:55 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • I agree with calling to find out about making a payment plan. Even if it is just $50/month or less. As long as you are making a good faith effort to make payments most judges aren't going to garnish your wages. See where you can cut back a little. If it means giving up internet/cable for a little while then do it. I know a friend of mine had issues with paying credit cards. She was ordered to meet with a budget analyst. Basically the guy set up a budget for her and she had to follow it so she could make her payments. It included things like no cable/internet, cutting back on eating out, cutting back on electricity used (lots of things drink electricity even when turned off if they are plugged in), and he even showed her some cool websites for coupons and stuff for food.

    Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:00 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • If you've been served and you fail to appear you lose my default (I THINK). You should talk to a legal professional.

    Answer by meooma at 8:02 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • contact a lawyer (most will see you the first time for a conslut for FREE) ask him/her the same questions you asked us.......but i do believe the worse thats going to happen is the judge is going to rule in thier favor (maybe for a lesser amount if you prove you cant pay them)

    Answer by cara124 at 9:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • If you do not appear, or respond judgement will be entered. Therefore they can garnish your wages, and can also place a lien on your property and assets you own. You best route is to see an attorney get the paperwork started for the bankruptcy and have the attorney respond you are in the mist of bankruptcy proceedings to be able to buy time.

    Answer by qubanprincess at 9:42 AM on May. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.