Ants

For the last two weeks Ive had a lot of ants around my sink and oven. Its completely grossing me out and Im not sure what to do. I will most likely call an exterminator and in the meantime have sprayed the baseboards throughout the house. But why are they not on the floor? How do I spray and what do I spray that is safe to be near the sink and oven?? My drain board is on the opposite side and havent seen them there but Im sure theyll make their way. Any suggestions or home remedies?? TIA!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:09 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• boiling hot water kills them on contact.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:15 AM on May. 6, 2011

• What kind of ants? If they are the black smallish ones...try using AntKil. Comes in a little blue and white bottle with a red cap. Put a little drop on a piece of foil. They will all swarm it and then take it back to the nest and not come back. Usually you can find it in the grocery store.

If they are the almost barely visable kind of ants, I have no idea. Let me know if you figure it out.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:16 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Thanks dancer. How would I do that? After its boiled that is. Do I just pour it on the counters? And how do I figure out the source? Ive kiled them and then they just keep coming back. I never have food or anything around for them to harbor like this. They appeared out of no where and my neighbor in the condo below is having the same issue. Its frustrating
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:17 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Also, if they are the small black ones and you're finding them by the oven they may be grease ants so if you do use the AntKil put a drop of oil mixed in with the AntKil. If they are the kind of ants that like sugar just use the AntKil
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:18 AM on May. 6, 2011

• They are the very small ants syphon. Thanks for the advice!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:18 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Syphon. That does make sense about the grease part. I plastic melt in my oven a few weeks ago and I wonder if they are attracted to it. They are on the range though. NOT inside. Guess thats a good thing though lol
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:19 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Is Antkil safe for humans? Should I make sure that nothing comes in contact with it?
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:20 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Try some of these other natural things:
    Instant Mashed Potatoes
    Instant Cream of Wheat
    Baby Powder
    Cornstarch

All of these the ants will either digest and carry back to nest and then "blow up"
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 7:42 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I asked this question earlier and didnt get too many answers so I went looking for them somewhere else and this is what I found! http://www.ehow.com/how_5513748_kill-black-ants.html?fb_ref=like&fb_source=profile_multiline  So far the vinegar has worked. Im still thinking about wether I should use the borax or not (I bought it) because I have a cat and dog..

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:43 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I honestly don't know but it's like a drop on a piece of foil and you only leave it for a day. I think it might have boric acid in it but really I'm not 100% sure. It does work though (on the right type of ants anyway)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:15 AM on May. 6, 2011