Letting people other than your husband watch you give birth? TMI!! adult content

I know some people let their entire familes watch, but honestly I would rather DIE than have my MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL, mom, dad, sisters, brothers, grandparents all see me writhing naked on a hospital bed, screaming in pain, pushing a baby out of my vagina. I know some people want to "share the magical event" with family, but not me!!!

I am lucky to have a family that feels the same way I do about this. One of my girlfriends wanted it to be just her and her hubby, but his mother ended up there to and her hubby backed down and let her. The nurse took her back out after my friend yelled at her to get out ( she told me it felt like if you were in the bathroom making #2 and someone walked in and wanted to watch). Her MIL is still mad at her for it and it was nearly a year ago.

Did you set up a stadium and let your entire family watch? Or did you ban everyone from coming within a mile of the hospital while you were giving birth? Just curious if I'm a weirdo or not....

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 8:17 AM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• after 2 kids, I can honestly say I don't care if they put the entire thing on TV for the world to see. Just let me have a happy, healthy baby the rest is just small details that won't matter later.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:23 AM on May. 6, 2011

• luckily my family feels the same way.. it would just be awkward for everyone to be in there. Now I could see my mom, DH of course, and my grandma, but that's about it.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 8:19 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Well my last 2 births no one was there but my older kids and my husband. We had just moved to new states each time & had no one to babysit. I wouldnt change a thing. But with this one, I'll end up having a slew of people,we're only 2 hrs from family now lol
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:21 AM on May. 6, 2011

• No. It was never an issue either until the last baby. I have always thought that giving birth was a special thing that only the parents should share in. I did offer my dd to be in the room with babies 4 & 5 because I thought since she was growing up it was something she should know about, but she declined and I did not force the issue. My mil and fil with baby #5 wanted to be in the room. They came early on and got bored nothing was happening. The nurse asked if I wanted them there and I said no. It was a quiet exchange between the nurse and me. She told them when they came back only the doctor, me, nurses, and my husband would be allowed in the room but they were welcome to the waiting room.

Answer by gemgem at 8:21 AM on May. 6, 2011

• My mom was in there with my XH. My dad would have been if I would have asked him.

My family doesn't stare at my crotch. They were all there until pushing time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:22 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I banned everyone from coming any where near the hospitol until after the baby was born and I'd had some bonding time. I didn't want people coming and going all day and trying to get in to see the baby before I'd had the time I wanted. My MIL was hurt, my family was understanding, but ultimately I didn't give a crap what they thought anyway.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:26 AM on May. 6, 2011

• for my first two births it was just my df and my mom, my 3rd birth it was just me because my df was out of state working.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:32 AM on May. 6, 2011

• No way!!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 8:36 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I haven't given birth yet- but no. I have my DF and hired my doula. and that's going to be it in the room. And even they are aware that at any point I may change my mind and want to be by myself with the midwife. I invited my mom and dad and DF's parents to be in the birth center and they can visit when I am laboring, but we also made sure they understood that as soon as I am done having visitors they can just sit in the waiting room and wait or feel free to wait at home or my apartment.

I don't need that to be on display for the world.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 8:50 AM on May. 6, 2011

• No I wouldn't be comfortable with the inlaws there either. With DD I had my Dh and my mother there with me. (My mother invited herself but in the end I was grateful she was there.. just never tell her that. ;) The only other person I invited in was a good friend of ours and she's also a Wiccan High Priestess so I wanted her there in a religious capacity.

This time around DH and maybe DD will be in the room. My mother is in another state now so isn't able to attend. No one else.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:57 AM on May. 6, 2011