When do babies walk?

My DS just started walking and he's only 6 months old. When do babies start walking usually? Is this normal? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby proof the house? What else can you do?
    Anonymous

• Walking independently, on his own, without holding on to anything or anyone? Yes, that is very unusual.
    If he is holding on to things, then that is called cruising, not walking. He's still on the early side for that too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• There is no "normal" time for a baby to do anything. Just when they are ready. You should do nothing, but encourage the walking. I know people whose children walked very early, and two people who said their children walked much later than usual. So it always depends on the child.
    mommabean06

Answer by mommabean06 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• wow thats amazing! The earliest they usually walk is 8 months! You've got a genious on your hands you should watch out!
    prettyNpink0769

Answer by prettyNpink0769 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• The range of "normal" is very wide. Most babies begin walking between 9-12 months of age although it's perfectly normal for babies to begin walking as late as 16-17 months. 6 months is early, but I certainly wouldn't be concerned. As far as what to do now goes: get plenty of rest. As soon as they start walking you start running after them, lol.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 10:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• No, its not normal. But- its okay.Just keep encouraging him My DD started walking at 9 months. Me and my brother started at 8 months. but the little boy i used to baby sit didnt start until around 13 months. all babies are different.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• my boys started walking at 16 months...thanks to my friends baby who is a lil older.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• IT'S A LITTLE EARLY THIER JUST LEARNING TO SIT AT SIX MONTHS, BUT IF THAT'S OF YOUR BABY WANTS IT THEN FINE. GO WITH THE FLOW, AND B PROUD
    myjaylynamor

Answer by myjaylynamor at 10:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• 6 months is early. Is your baby walking or just cruising? Either way it is rather early.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It's early but I have a feeling my son will be the same way. From 2 1/2 months all he's wanted to do is stand. Everyone says how strong he is. I try to just sit him up, but he will stiffen out his whole body so I have no choice but to stand him up. I am not looking forward to him walking early, then again I had to deal with the whole fussy teething thing early too. I saw a post on here a while ago that said their kids walked at 6 mos. I have a friend who's baby started at 10 mos. Good luck!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008