Breastfeeding and weight loss

Hi ladies

OK, so here's the background...

I am currently bf'ing my 7 month old and have been doing workouts on the wii fit and zumba to the point of muscle fatigue and sweat collecting on my face and neck. I occasionally eat chocolate - a bar at most.

However, I generally have a fruit and fibre breakfast cereal with 2% milk. At lunch it's usually a sandwich (mostly cheese on wholewheat). For dinner it's mainly chicken or salmon - never fried and veg and a small amount of brown rice (sometimes potatoes mashed with a drop of EVOO) - I don't use a big plate.

Snack-wise, I don't generally do it but my fav is lemon yogurt or some kind of fruit.

I drink around 3 cups of English tea per day, 1-2 dilute drinks, but generally water.

Why am I losing no more than 5 or so pounds? I really don't understand! I've been quite consistent with my exercise and do at least an hour - would do more but I have 2 kids who always break my stride for one reason or another.

I have a wedding dress a dress size down to get into in 2 months and 1 day! Please help!

Thanks :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You are "dropping" pounds because you are doing it in a healthy way! The only way to lose crazy pounds fast is if you are crash dieting or doing something that probably isn't healthy. Also, if you are exercising to the point of muscle fatigue, that may be too much. Your body looks at all of the work you are doing and has decided to hang on to every little calorie it can get from your food because you are not only exhausting yourself but you are also breastfeeding. Try cutting back a little bit to the point where you aren't "dead" at the end of your routine and still have enough energy to go do some errands or take your LO for a walk.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 8:59 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Thanks for the advice :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:07 AM on May. 6, 2011

• The weight shouldn't be coming off any faster than 1-2 lbs per week. Any faster is unhealthy, and almost definitely temporary. Try eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours- snacks included. This will help keep your metabolism humming along. You need to make sure you're getting plenty of calories (about 1500-1800 a day while breastfeeding), or you'll affect your milk supply and you'll put your body into starvation mode, which slows your weight loss. Sometimes we have to actually INCREASE food intake to lose weight! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:38 PM on May. 6, 2011