Breastfeeding and weight loss

Hi ladies

OK, so here's the background...

I am currently bf'ing my 7 month old and have been doing workouts on the wii fit and zumba to the point of muscle fatigue and sweat collecting on my face and neck. I occasionally eat chocolate - a bar at most.

However, I generally have a fruit and fibre breakfast cereal with 2% milk. At lunch it's usually a sandwich (mostly cheese on wholewheat). For dinner it's mainly chicken or salmon - never fried and veg and a small amount of brown rice (sometimes potatoes mashed with a drop of EVOO) - I don't use a big plate.

Snack-wise, I don't generally do it but my fav is lemon yogurt or some kind of fruit.

I drink around 3 cups of English tea per day, 1-2 dilute drinks, but generally water.

Why am I losing no more than 5 or so pounds? I really don't understand! I've been quite consistent with my exercise and do at least an hour - would do more but I have 2 kids who always break my stride for one reason or another.

I have a wedding dress a dress size down to get into in 2 months and 1 day! Please help!

Thanks :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly ti sounds like you are eating enough. Your body is going into starvation mode and making milk then storing the rest.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Try switching it up, belly dancing worked for me with my first two but with my third I went with turbo fire.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 8:38 AM on May. 6, 2011

• try boxing
    auggirl11

Answer by auggirl11 at 8:45 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I didn't lose any weight during breadtfeeding. I didn't lose until I stopped.

Like PP states, it doesn't sound like you are eating enough.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:52 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Same issue, I wasn't eating enough and my body was holding on to everything trying to ensure that my body and baby's body was fed. Try increasing your healthy caloric intake and continue the activity level. I didn't believe it with my first but with my second I didn't restrict my calories and I lost more weight in a shorter time period. Good luck!

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 8:55 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I agree w the other ladies! Eat 6xs a. Day
    KRob85

Answer by KRob85 at 9:03 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I thought my intake may be an issue but wasn't sure. Also, I think I might be scared to eat more ... probably sounds stupid
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:06 AM on May. 6, 2011

• It could be you are building muscle so the weight stays almost the same. Also, you can lower your carb intake, read the nutrition labels carefully sometimes it has more sugar than you think. Lasty is already mentioned that you should spread out your meals. It's hard when you are bfding at the same time b/c you need to eat a lot to produce milk. Good luck!
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:14 AM on May. 6, 2011

• you may be one of those types that is sensitive to sugar. My ex MIL was having so much trouble losing weight. Her Dr. was trying to help her, but nothing was budging. He finally said "OK, no sugar pr bad carbs for one week...lets see what happens" ...she lost 7 lbs in that one week that she dropped sugar, and she wasn't even really eating that much sugar.

Some people are extra sensitive to sugar & carbs....which means when you eat sugar, your pancreas over produces insulin...which sends too much sugar to your muscles for energy. If you're not a triathlon athlete, all that sugar being sent to your muscles will turn into fat.

Keep working out every day....but stop eating all sugar & bad carbs for one week & see what happens. A lot of people who are sugar/carb sensitive never realize that it's the sugar keeping the fat on. Quit eating those chocolate bars....that is like 300 calories you DON'T need.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:16 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Your minimum caloric intake is 1800 per day. If you try to go less, you WILL NOT lose... the body goes into lockdown and holds the fat instead because you've simulated starvation.

WEIGHT WATCHERS. Best plan out there and you'll be in that dress size if you follow it religiously.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 AM on May. 6, 2011