How would you deal with this?

I put my 4yo ds in timeout in his room for hurting his 2yo sister on purpose. He had a fit, but he always does when he gets a timeout, so I just shut the door. When I went up to talk to him 10 minutes later, he was gone! He had snuck out of the house and run away from home!

I was totally terrified of course, grabbed my daughter and caught up with him on the other side of the street a block away! I was so happy to see him I didn't think of another punishment, and now I don't feel like I can let him out of my sight. I've got the spinning childproof doornobs and the high hooks on the door, but he's can get those undone.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have the time out spot - a corner, chair you can move from area to area - nearby in whatever room you are in.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:45 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Try to just pay more attention and doing what the pp said would be a great way to do it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:47 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Time out is only supposed to be 1 minute per year, so if you did that it would only be 4 minutes. You can put him in a corner for that.

Answer by gemgem at 8:48 AM on May. 6, 2011

• wow.thats scary,glad he was found.I agree with the other comment..put him in a time out place that is visible.My grandson's spot is behind the couch so he can't see the tv but his parents can see him.
    robin2708

Answer by robin2708 at 8:49 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I would defently make sure he knows that is not allowed to do and maybe make timeout somewhere you can keep an eye on him.I put all my kids in a corner where I can watch them,if I put them in their rooms they will just play.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 8:51 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I used to run away all the time- not really far, but enough to scare my parents. Not to freak you out, but I'd look into other adults in his life and for signs of abuse if he starts running away a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on May. 6, 2011

• How did he get outside? Just let him know that it is not ok to leave the house unless you say it is ok. I keep my son's timeout chair in the living room so I can keep an eye on him.
    MarcsWife05

Answer by MarcsWife05 at 9:01 AM on May. 6, 2011

• wow, well now that he knows that got a rise out of you expect it more. time out in a public place where you can see him at all times.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:02 AM on May. 6, 2011

• WOW! U poor mama..I can't imagine a child doing that..:S There are a lot of child-proofing things through OneStepAhead.com or their catalogue. They even have bar things for the windows..it might be time to prison-ify his room! lol Maybe try giving a time out in front of you..with a fun timer..? Good luck!! xxx
    Ella_Bella20

Answer by Ella_Bella20 at 9:05 AM on May. 6, 2011

• How did he get out of the house? And how did you not hear him leave? Just curious as to how he got that far away in ten minutes. I agree with making his time out a public place. I used to make my dd stand in the corner....facing the wall if it was just us....and facing out if we were in a public place where she wanted to run.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:07 AM on May. 6, 2011