Give up and wait or try another GI?

My 10 month old LO has suffered from acid reflux from 2 weeks old. He continues to suffer substaintially, he's been on pepcid and took a long cycle on a PPI (Nexium). He does not sleep well at all (even when he sleeps with me) He wakes ALL night long and moans and groans all night. He screams in the car and eats very little solid food. He recently had an endoscopy done which showed no abnormalities and no damage from the reflux. While the doctor acknoledges my LO is clearly suffering from acid reflux she is saying we just need to wait it out and he will grow out of it, she does nto feel comfortable keeping him on the nexium. I understand that time will heal more than anything however I am having a hard time believing there is nothing that they can do. Everyone is telling me to take him to CHOP which is a great children's hospital in Philadelphia. I'm tossed. What is your take on this whole thing? Should I just wait or should I get a second opinion?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 9:21 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would get a second opinion.

Now I know he is little so this probably won't work...but my dh's doc told him to drink pickle juice for his acid reflux. Something about the PH balance. However it would make for some nasty poop for your kiddo.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:23 AM on May. 6, 2011

• If you can get into CHOP, go - we have friends who went there and they seem so great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on May. 6, 2011

• ask about Prevacid solutabs. They dissolve on the tongue, and you can crush them up so baby cannot spit it out. Helped my youngest immensely. He had reflux to the point where his mouth always smelled like stomach acid. He also had a dairy intolerance. Once he had enough Prevacid in the dose (doc started small) and we got rid of ALL dairy he was a much happier baby.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:44 AM on May. 6, 2011

• balagan imma.. my sons pacifiers ALWAYS smell like stomach acid. I"m going to ask about them , thank you!!!
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 10:04 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Have you talked with an allergist? You've clearly got an uncomfortable child and the treatment for acid reflux is not helping. My knee jerk is to find out if he's allergic to something. Is he formula fed or breast fed? If he's on formula - is it milk or soy? If he's BF - do you notice a pattern of increasing or decreasing issues based on what you've eaten? I'm biased - totally admit it - but having a food allergic child who does tend to react with gastrointestinal issues, my first instinct is to rule out allergies with a child described as yours is.

Look for an pediatric allergist that has experience in food allergies. Infants with allergies to diary and/or soy often react the way you're describing. My DD is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and seafood. The rare times she's been exposed to her allergens, she vomits profusely. It just turns her stomach up side down and inside out. :(

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:36 PM on May. 6, 2011