Should i take him to the doc?

Ds is 3 and is running low grade fever,dry cough.I think its a virus but should I take him anyway?He's doesn't have much energy and just wants to cuddle up with me.

sarah389

Asked by sarah389 at 9:25 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I usually don't do anything until at least day 4. A virus usually comes on, peaks at day 2-3 and then gets better by day 4. If there are new symptoms or the fever goes above 103, then it may be time to call the doctor.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:30 PM on May. 6, 2011

• ehh. for today I would give him some tylenol and lots of love and rest. Unless he gets worse.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:29 AM on May. 6, 2011

• doctors can't do much for viruses other than what you can do at home, which is lots of fluids and rest. just keep an eye on the fever.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:46 AM on May. 6, 2011

• If you want to take him it's not gonna hurt. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:35 AM on May. 6, 2011

• If it were one of my kids, I'd just push fluids, cuddle, and see what the next couple of days bring. I would not medicate, because if he's got a little fever his body is fighting something - and if you give him something to lower his temp his body will quit fighting and whatever is in him will grab hold and he'll get sicker. I usually give my kids a few days, because something viral will take about a week. If he gets worse, the fever goes higher, he gets listless, his eyes get glassy, etc, then definitely bring him in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd give it a few days. They won't do anything for a virus.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 10:43 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I'd give it a few days. Get a humidifier for his room to loosen up the cough.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 3:01 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Call the doctors office and speak to the nurse. She what she thinks you should do.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:16 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Give him soup that he really likes, don't give too much sweets as that would likely irritate his throat even more. Keep him inside, might be from an allergy.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 12:53 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Id give it a day or two and give him a chance to fight it off.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:33 PM on May. 7, 2011