Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Changing DD's last name

My dd has my maiden name for her last name. Her bio father is in no way in her life and never even signed her birth certificate. My husband has been her Daddy since she was two. She desparately wants to change her last name to ours. We have discussed adoption several times...but it is gonna be costly. Her bio father is no where to be found so I have to hire a guardian ad litem and put an ad in the paper and all that stuff.

We were thinking of changing her last name legally first...while we work on all the rest. I am just not sure if we can do this. I am waiting on a call back from a lawyer.

Does anyone know anything on this?

Answer Question

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:28 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Adoption

Level 20 (9,288 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • You should be able to if the father is not on the birth certificate. My daughter has both my maiden name and her bio dad's name and wants to drop his name but I can't because he won't approve.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:29 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • not sure how that works when they not on the BC, i would wait for the lawyer to call you back........i know if they on the BC they have to give promission first......

    Answer by cara124 at 9:31 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • Without the dad on the birth cert if shouldnt be a problem but normally a name change costs around $200 or more.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • if hes not on the birth certificate it shouldnt matter... theres not even proff your husband isnt the dad... to the court.

    Answer by momma_amanda77 at 11:35 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • YOu shouldn't have to do anything, unless you have CO child support, but if his name is not on the birth certificate, then it is no big deal to proceed with adoption, if his name is on there, then it should not be too bad for the ad in the paper...good luck,

    Answer by kimigogo at 11:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

  • Seeing as how its YOUR name you used you should not have a problem getting it changed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on May. 6, 2011

  • You shouldnt have a problem. I have a friend who recently went through the exact same thing. You generally only need one biological parent to sign for a name change, so her real dad wouldnt be involved in the process at all. It seems like a good idea to me.

    Answer by amber710 at 1:00 PM on May. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.