Need opinions and input ...

I'm curious, I was looking into different options of prenatal care and delivery, for my next pregnancy. I gave birth 3.25.10 via C-section, my son did pass away. So dh and I have been trying since June of 2010. I want to attempt a natural childbirth next time around and w/my oldest DD(11) I had a Midwife and loooved the care provided. I was able to labor 36 hours w/o an epi and very little pain meds. I was able to bond instantly and just felt great to go home. With my DD(6) nd DS(5), I was induced and forced to get the epi or threatened w/C-sect. Well with my last pregnancy, it was a planned C-section. The recovery was terrible all the way around. Nothing major, but I never wanna feel that way again.

So I was wondering what you all thought of this or if you have gone this route, share your experiences. I want to go natural or at least VBAC (if I'm pg now, it will be 20 months since my last C-sect). Do you think it's a safe bet to go the Midwife route or should I just go to a specialist? I'm afraid of complications, but I do know that I don't want to go through surgery again(if possible). Help me in anyway, please???

ButterflyKissed

Asked by ButterflyKissed at 9:36 AM on May. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would be worried about using a midwife with the issues you've had in the past. I've only had 1 kid and it was c-section. I honestly think I will go c-section again, even if the recovery time is longer.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:37 AM on May. 6, 2011

• if you go to an ob chances are you will wind up with a repeat c-section. which, from my own personal experience, i can tell you is better the 2nd time around. a midwive, however, will be more concerned about your birth plan. you might just want to go talk to one of each and see what your options are both ways before making a decision.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:41 AM on May. 6, 2011

• I was up and moving around the same night after my csection. My doctor was really awesome though. Done a great job. I hear the second one is always better though. and that the recovery is alot faster. Ive never been a fan of midwifes. They are NOt doctors and that probably means they dont know as much either. But what do I know lol
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 10:07 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Midwives are generally less inclined to use interventions (which can increase the chances of a repeat C-section). If you have a midwife who will take a VBAC patient (they're apparently not allowed to here, or I would have gone that route), and that's what you want, then go for it. The risks involved with a VBAC are very slight--a 0.7-1.5% chance of uterine rupture, depending on where you look, and that includes everything from asymptomatic ruptures that heal on their own to ones resulting in hysterectomy or death, which are very very very rare. If it worries you, you can always see if you can find a midwife who will attend your birth in the hospital, "just in case", or at least someplace close to one.

My VBAC was 22 months after my C-section, and everything went perfectly.

And just curious...why were you induced? Induction is not recommended with VBACs.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:15 AM on May. 6, 2011

• Thank you ladies, loving the input! I was curious b/c someone said that it was better to have a Midwife and I fell into the idea because of my 1st delivery.
    @DragonRiderMD: I was induced with DD b/c I lived in FL and dh was stationed in VA on the Navy base. So it was something we decided and I regret it! With DS, I was OVERDUE and he showed no signs of moving. So they scheduled the induction. So that would take away from me qualifying to see a Midwife? Idk how things have changed since having DD(11), but I did have a Midwife at the hospital w/me.
    @JmgBlair10: It's an opinion. And of course you know because you're a mommy and been thru it! lol ... I'm not knocking it. I'm thrilled to hear that, because so many people are against C-sect, that it's refreshing to hear that it's not as bad the 2nd time around. Thanks lady!!

Keep it coming ladies! Good to know and eases my mind not everyone is against Repeat C-sects
    ButterflyKissed

Comment by ButterflyKissed (original poster) at 10:29 AM on May. 6, 2011

• sorry about your son passing i don"t like pain i had emp deal shot with 1 baby safe not lot pain no sugery but boy i had nothing lot pain
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 3:55 PM on May. 6, 2011